MEANINGFULL PROTECTION

For years I rode in jeans and a light shower proof coat. I invested in boots because an A&E nurse told me that foot/ankle injuries where very common. I wore leather gloves because that just seemed sensible. Now I wear bike gear with shoulder, elbow, hip and knee pads because these pointy parts of the body can suffer from gravel rash. My jacket has a back pad and when seated it touches the seat, due to its stiffness it fully supports the jacket and raises it slightly off my shoulders/neck. This is great for me because the slightest pressure on my neck region gives me terrible headaches.

I only ever expected those pads to save me from gravel rash and never saw them as bone break prevention...:hump:

I'm invincible when I put on my armor?
1712062736067.png

https://www.fromoldbooks.org/LewisCaroll-AliceThroughTheLookingGlass/pages/087-Preparing-for-Battle/

Last edited:
I watched and the study he cites has a bit of a flaw? The criterion is that a fracture HAS occurred. Which pretty much eliminates any incidences where the armor WAS effective. LOL
I mostly wear gear, and that's true for most of my activities, Chainsaws I'm talking about you...
More importantly? I don't drink while doing stupid sheet.

May not fully protect from fracture as there are as many reasons for possible fracture as there are crash scenarios, but they do protect from abrasion.
Seen result of people going down and coming up with exposed kneecaps and elbows, not pretty.

An ADVANTAGE of standardized pads is replacements. I've found older riding gear that's in fine shape but the pads are crumbling, thanks to standardization, new pads can be slipped in and it's good to go. Buell jacket I'm talking about you.

My favorite jacket is as old as my bike. Not too long ago, I had a panel replaced on the left sleeve. The pavement wore through it. It also took some skin off of my elbow. It’s still my favorite jacket to wear because of the fit and comfort. Admittedly, I think it looks cool.

Yes, I’d rather wear the armor to a crash. The hard stuff is going to spread the impact. Having hit the pavement a few times, any padding is better than none.

I suppose the question of Meaning is already decided? And also Protection?

For myself I favor light weight shoes, polarized shades, and the righteousness of experience and payin' attention. Avoiding the wild pigs is important...though I no longer consider fire-arms to be protective, as I am retired from my youthful errors of judgement.... ;) The burn scars from streaking (back in the day) are visible testament to the sensible idea of wearing pants...but the scars are cool. Boots, the heavy sort, caused a nasty sprained ankle back in 1975 or so, still goes "klick" and stabs me, sometimes... Sneakers are better...

Meaning was much corrupted by the quaint and curious helmet rules, which have no basis in the US Basic Law...which used to give considerable meaning...

Plastic Jesus... Jolene follows...not bad!

As I got back into riding, I purchased the padded pants. But The thin cotton has no abrasion resistance and went back to Jeans. I'm currently searching for abrasion resistant Jeans that may have some padding for longer rides. I play Ice hockey and I can tell you that Padding on the elbows, knees and shoulders have a huge effect on basic tumbling to the ground (ice). The couple times kids took my feet out from under me on the ice when I coached w/o gear, I was smarting for a while, especially knees and elbows. I can imagine if I am hit at a stop light at slow speed, that padding will come into play and not totally ruin my day. Or even if I just fall off my bike at a stop cause I lose balance.

I feel strongly that the knee/elbow/shoulder padding offers a "limited protection" from low level falls but it does not make you invulnerable. If anyone ever thought that, I think you maybe should not be riding.

I wear an armoured jacket and gloves each time I set out on the bike (and helmet of course). I am however “guilty” of not wearing my motorcycle boots 100% of the time. For my Guzzi, there’s no excuse but on the XS with the rear sets, it’s a tight squeeze to get my foot underneath the gear shift when wearing heavy footwear. I suppose I should go shopping this season for a lighter pair of riding shoes.

Riding pants are another challenge. With my girth and shorter legs, I’ve yet to find a pair of pants that will fit and be functional. If I find pants that fit at the waist, the legs are so long that the knee pads are down around my shins. I’ve thought about buying a pair and have a tailor alter the position of the knee pads.

For me, although I would be concerned about breaking bones, I’m also concerned about road rash. I bought a nice mesh jacket last year that I’ve yet to wear. It’s fully armoured and has removable liners for wet weather and the cold. I have two other jackets I tend to wear more often.

I watched and the study he cites has a bit of a flaw? The criterion is that a fracture HAS occurred. Which pretty much eliminates any incidences where the armor WAS effective. LOL
Not sure how you come to that conclusion? :umm:
The categories across the top for types of injuries are bruised, cuts, fractures, sprain and internal. So no, I can't see where there's a stipulation a fracture has occurred. What are you seeing that I'm missing?

1712072779051.png

I believe you get what you pay for. I still have a one piece BKS Leather suit from way back when I did track days (Similar to below).
Its a fantastic piece of bespoke equipment; customised as required. Yes it has thick leather in all the right places and appropriate protective elements too.
Mine has been down the road a few times and back for repair at BKS.
BKS 2.JPG

Saved my skin more time than I like to remember. Pity I cant get into the freaking thing anymore!

These days I ride for pleasure, and on The Brat (R1200GS) I always wear my Alpinestars two piece leathers which I have great confidence in.
For riding out on Taffy (XS650) my favorite jeacket is a Helstons Tracker leather jacket. A French made product of real quality; comes with removable protectors (I take em out for better movement). I Just wear with Oxford casual protective jeans. Jacket looks ace with Taffy as the colours match!
Yeah I know its not all about safety is it :lmao:

helstons.JPG

It can get hot and humid here too. That’s why I bought the mesh jacket. It’s ballistic nylon plus armoured.

What Jacket did you get?

I have a couple of these (red and the light brown). I know it has some abrasion resistance but will need to research just how good that is.
I am on in a really hot climate but riding at 30mph+ in 95F weather, I've never gotten uncomfortable.
https://www.skullriderz.com/products/road-armor-protective-biker-shirt

Jetmechmarty, thx for the link I'll check those out too.

What Jacket did you get?

I have a couple of these (red and the light brown). I know it has some abrasion resistance but will need to research just how good that is.
I am on in a really hot climate but riding at 30mph+ in 95F weather, I've never gotten uncomfortable.
https://www.skullriderz.com/products/road-armor-protective-biker-shirt

Jetmechmarty, thx for the link I'll check those out too.

I can check later but I know it’s not a brand name. Most likely Chinese or Pakistani. I bought it at a motorcycle show last spring.

Tight leathers were use
For years I rode in jeans and a light shower proof coat. I invested in boots because an A&E nurse told me that foot/ankle injuries where very common. I wore leather gloves because that just seemed sensible. Now I wear bike gear with shoulder, elbow, hip and knee pads because these pointy parts of the body can suffer from gravel rash. My jacket has a back pad and when seated it touches the seat, due to its stiffness it fully supports the jacket and raises it slightly off my shoulders/neck. This is great for me because the slightest pressure on my neck region gives me terrible headaches.

I only ever expected those pads to save me from gravel rash and never saw them as bone break prevention...:hump:
Tight leathers are to keep the bones from popping out ala complex fracture.

Back