Mikuni Carbs

Toro

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help me figure out what size carbs I need for my 1972 xs2? I’ve been looking around and I want to go with a pair of Mikuni slide carbs. I’ve noticed there are a few different sizes, 32mm and 34mm being the ones I see the most and both say they would fit my engine. Thanks for any information and help you can offer.

XS650s came with both 38 and 34mm CV carbs as standard. Parts outlets sell kits consisting of 34mm carbs, either flat or round slides, manifolds, boots and so on. Single carb fitments are usually 34 or 36 and single carb manifolds are available.

There are various carbs available, Mikuni, Delorto, Kehin and a few knockoffs, but any carb would work provided the venturi size and jetting are correct. Best to stick with a known rather than an unknown though. Mikuni would make the most sense as parts are readily available.

I have a pair of 34mm VM round slides on homemade manifolds, they work fine.

Commercially available kits come with two part manifolds which site the carbs further back than normal, siting the carbs directly under the petcocks, so you either have to use extended manifolds as I have, or tilt the carbs over as most seem to do.

VM34 carbs have an outer spigot diameter of 40mm. There are 42mm manifolds available from Hoos which some people have used, thus siting the carbs forward of the petcocks.

Kits make the most sense as they are jetted to suit the XS650 and jetting info is readily available.

Attachments

• WIN_20230706_16_19_14_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20230706_16_19_14_Pro.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 16
Oops thought you said FLAT SLIDE. CARRY ON.
No personal experience, but LOL
You may have a better experience with the 32's, flat slides flow better than round slides.
Too big carbs work fine at higher RPM but have trouble at lower RPM transitions.
"too much too soon" lowers the venturi's ability to pull fuel up out of the float bowl.
A typical over carbed take off, wait for it
VM38's, mains up around 220 to deal with lower venturi pressure but man it loved to rev!
It's now happy with VM34s....

Last edited:
Terry, question about those air filters. Does the perforated metal give a good enough airflow at high revs? Just asking cuz I don’t know?

Back