Minimal electrics

djxs650

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is a great forum and Im hoping someone will help me out here.

Im currently trying to minimise the electrics on my xs650 chop. Ive seen bikes out there with very small battery/electrics boxes which minimise the electrcials on show.
Where is the best place to hide these items such as coils, rectifier, etc.
Im happy dealing with the wiring and want to pass most of it through the tubes - please anyone gve me some pointers on where to stratigically place the ugly bits.
Cheers

Dave (Not so Sunny England)

I figured all this out as I built. You'll drive yourself nuts trying to figure this out unless you're in front of the bike on the table.

Found the reg/rec a nice little place on the side of the battery box in direct airflow.

Coil I welded a small bracket off the neck gusset tube and hung it there.

Get beer. Go to garage. Drink beer. Stare. Drink more beer. Stare. IDEAS

6140974554_437113c3b0_b.jpg

5998420636_59b705368a_b.jpg

Depends if you're hard tailing or bratting it out and if your you're keeping the starter. If your keeping the starter go with a Shorai or Atomic battery. They seem to be the smallest....expensive but small. Mounting the coil depends on the type of coil your using, double/single/Pamco ignition coils. Also will depend on the tank you have. If you're using one of the lowbrow deep tunnel wassel replicas you can stick it under the tank nice and hidden.

On my brat i kept the reg/rectifyer in stock location and crammed a shorai battery right behind it with all of the electrical (flasher unit, solinoid). I'm also running a pamco so I can ditch the electric ignition.

484581_3780906454822_36543259_n.jpg

Thanks. My seats (actually the bikes for my wife) is off at Danny Grey getting a custom cover and the carbs are now in and 2/3 of the electrical done. Too hot in the garage to work.

I just got my XS on saturday, planning out my build now. I have seen the PAMCO suggestion a few places, and not sure what exactly that is or where to find it. I would eventually like to get rid of the battery all together.

Not using any top motor mounts. However, if I need some later I'll just use a single piece of flat bar shaped like a chair missing the back legs. then stick it between the stock tabs on the motor.

Shouldn't need them though.

Back