Missing washer ?!?!

Evilclone13

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been trying to figure out why I do not have the correct amount of clutch disengagement when I pull the lever? I lubed the new cable that I bought, and checked the cable to be sure it was not bound up. (good) Then I checked the adjustment of the wormgear. The adjustment nut was locked up tight, nothing I did worked to break it free. (not good) So, I bought a working replacement from forum member _XSesive_. (Works great, and I recommend doing business with him!) Then I disassembled the clutch rod set up, no bent rods and all ball bearings in place. (good) Then I tore appart the clutch basket, I have a 79' with a seven plate set up. All of the friction plates are 3mm thick. (There has been some debate on what the thickness limit is with these plates, some say 3mm is ok, others not so much? :confused:) So after much reading on this forum, and checking to see what I have, compared to what others have, I found this ...

Based on what I have seen in other posts, it seems that I am missing a 2mm thick washer in the location where the red arrow is?!?! (not good)

Please let me know if my guess is correct, and where I might be able to get the replacement washer?

Also, more importantly, if I install this new washer will it fix my clutch issue ?!?! :banghead:

As always, thanks in advance for the advice ...

Attachments

• CLUTCH.jpg
    CLUTCH.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 167
Yes, it appears you are missing a 2mm thick washer, it's the same as that one you have 2nd from the left. Are you sure it isn't stuck to the back of the inner hub? Oil makes them cling sometimes. Without that washer, I'm thinking it would put the inner hub (which carries the plates) closer to the worm gear and result in more plate separation. Here's a diagram for the washer sequence .....

ClutchWashers.jpg

Stock new thickness for the friction plates on your model is 3mm so yours aren't worn at all.

Well after much reflection and embarrasment, the washer in question WAS stuck to the inner hub! :doh: It's official, I need glasses!!! (thanks 5twins!!!)

Despite my lack of sight, I'm glad to see that I have the washer. But that still doesn't solve my clutch issue?!?! I thought the same thing 5twins, with more distance away from the wormgear, I would actually be worse off then I am now. With the wormgear adjustment at full in, (which is way too much) and the cable adjustment at the lever full out, (again way too much) I don't feel any resistance on the lever until I'm about a half inch away from the grip.

Any thoughts on what I need to look at next? :shrug:

BTW, here is a pic of the wormgear installed, just to make sure the arm is at the proper angle ...

Attachments

• WORMGEAR.JPG
    WORMGEAR.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 131
Well after much reflection and embarrasment, the washer in question WAS stuck to the inner hub! :doh: It's official, I need glasses!!! (thanks 5twins!!!)

Despite my lack of sight, I'm glad to see that I have the washer. But that still doesn't solve my clutch issue?!?! I thought the same thing 5twins, with more distance away from the wormgear, I would actually be worse off then I am now. With the wormgear adjustment at full in, (which is way too much) and the cable adjustment at the lever full out, (again way too much) I don't feel any resistance on the lever until I'm about a half inch away from the grip.

Any thoughts on what I need to look at next? :shrug:

BTW, here is a pic of the wormgear installed, just to make sure the arm is at the proper angle ...

You have the operating arm installed wrong. Move it counterclockwise to the next thread.
The position shown is when the clutch is fully dis-engaged.

I knew I could count on the Guru's for proper advice! I'll be making the adjustment and putting everything back together ... Thanks again!

I'll keep you posted!

Back