Modern bikes. You have one?

Another retro bike that I’ve always had a soft spot for is the beautiful Honda CB1100, only sold for a few years and buyers shied away from. The bad rap it got was , it was beautiful and well engineered and Honda reliable, but not thrilling. Sounds perfect to me! Good low mileage affordable used ones show up periodically on Craigslist.
View attachment 200866
It appeals to me as well, but not as much as a Moto Guzzi. And then, there's Honda reliability.
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-tech/honda-cb1100-engine/

Last edited:
Just try to find a CB1000...................
https://ridermagazine.com/2014/05/02/retrospective-honda-cb1000-1994-1996/
web-right.jpg

2008 BMW R1200GS cool but bought cheap cuz dealers wouldn't give him ANY trade in. The dash warning lights too expensive to fix. gggGary is doing the back door fixes. ABS non op: BMW, spend 3500 on new module. There's a shop does the fix for $300. a home brew fix may be less than $50.
Tire pressure monitor batteries dead; BMW 250 each plus install, aftermarket $70 the pair. But will need a module/tool to get the sensors to synch up to the bike.
No fuses the CPU decides if load is apropiate on circuit shuts it down if draw's too high. One power outlet non functional, wiring going to be be bypassed and fused.
Different kinds of fixes but doable. Went to change headlights to LED but CPU is balking about amperage errors. On a test ride one black rural night I got a headlights out at speed pucker session. Cuz CPU knew better, F me! right? LOL

Been leery of recent BMW's, can't fault their mechanicals, generally bullet proof but electricals are somewhat hit an miss and when they do go out, and they will, costs a small fortune to repair. Known a couple guys that after multiple returns of various models for non-functioning ABS issues under warrantee decided to trade them on Jap bikes. Not because that didn't like the bike or ride but because of the feeling they couldn't depend on them over the long haul.
Late wife had 90's era BMW auto, 735 IL, that would give frequent signals of non-functioning lamps. Some true, others not, seems they were particularly biased to only accepting the resistance value of the German made lamp bulbs. I figure the same things exists in their bikes as well.

A buddy is a city tow truck driver.. I ask'd what did he tow the most ... " German cars...lousy electrics.." I had a 82' Rt100.... nice bike.. good for one thing.... rip'n asphalt from point A to point B... not a good go to coffee bike. But.... middle of Ohio... " pop bang.. bang pop "... died...Left bike at a famers garage..got ride to town. As I'm on the phone at the hotel look'n for a BMW dealer.. 3 hours away.. look'n for a van to rent.. I looked outside the window and... there's a Honda dealer.. Aaaaaargh.. the week before I sold my 82' Cb900 Honda, great bike... no issues ever... ran great.. all the bells and whistles... sold it to " up grade to " B ite M y W allet. Friends, who attended Mid Ohio, hauled the Teutonic lump home for me. Local dealer replaced the electronic pick up sensor... had a used one.. " saved you money..".... between the " saved me money " and renting a car.. no vans available. ... had to pay a " fee " ..$300.oo.... above car rental because it was a one way trip....unexpected motel room.... the trip added nearly $1800.oo to the ... BMW adventure. :yikes:

Recently purchased my first BMW from a good friends estate after his unfortunate demise.1987 K75T with 335,000 mi. and runs great. He bought it new and cared for it by the book. Great bike but meh... Bought it just to preserve the legend in our gaggle of misfits. Hated the thought of it ending up leaning against a garage somewhere out in the weather.

RIP
Weez (Man of Steel)

BMW K75T.jpg

Last edited:
Recently purchased my first BMW from a good friends estate after his unfortunate demise.1987 K75T with 335,000 mi. and runs great. He bought it new and cared for it by the book. Great bike but meh... Bought it just to preserve the legend in our gaggle of misfits. Hated the thought of it ending up leaning against a garage somewhere out in the weather.

RIP
Weez (Man of Steel)

View attachment 200913
Friend had one of these... fuel pump when kaput... replacement from BMW motorcycle was obscene... discovered on the B ite M y W allet forum.. a BMW car fuel pump works.. and a third of the cost.

My bmw k1600 ran out of fuel with the gauge showing full and the range gauge showing over 400 kilometres left in the tank. Had to wait 2 months to get in at the dealership and they found a faulty sensor, none in australia, has to come from Germany!. Wife was not impressed when we ran out of fuel so I reminded her that if we were on the xs I would have turned the fuel taps onto reserve and kept riding. The bmw was the wifes idea as she wanted to be more comfortable !

My bmw k1600 ran out of fuel with the gauge showing full and the range gauge showing over 400 kilometres left in the tank. Had to wait 2 months to get in at the dealership and they found a faulty sensor, none in australia, has to come from Germany!. Wife was not impressed when we ran out of fuel so I reminded her that if we were on the xs I would have turned the fuel taps onto reserve and kept riding. The bmw was the wifes idea as she wanted to be more comfortable !

Two months to get it to a dealership! Your missus must have pushed it miles!!!

Wife was not impressed when we ran out of fuel so I reminded her that if we were on the xs I would have turned the fuel taps onto reserve and kept riding. The bmw was the wifes idea as she wanted to be more comfortable !

And she let you live to tell the tale. This is the true victory here :smoke:

Old habits die hard, the Beemer has a fuel gauge, I always reset the trip odometer at fill ups.
PO had replaced the fuel sensor strip.
My dad frequently stated about car do-dads; if it doesn't have them, they won't break.
On the other hand the R1200GS has 87K, came with extensive dealer service records, although they totaled over $10K :yikes: no major repairs to date. Engine goes 6K miles between oil changes without adding any oil!
On the fly electronic suspension ride height and damping setting still functioning perfectly.

Back