Monstercraftsman throttle?

voelser

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
As I believed that this throttle 'worked well with xs650' I ordered it from monstercraftsman:

http://www.monstercraftsman.com/7-8-throttle-assembly-with-vintage-style-grips-black/

Having received it I would like to say that it is quite nice, but there seems to be a slight issue in securing the throttle cable elbow properly into the housing (with it wobbling about or even threatening to drop out at any moment).

I've scoured the forum and found some people having the same issue, but no clear solutions as yet. Anybody else have an idea?

Thanks!

Same one I am using. You need to adjust the cable so that it pulls that elbow just a bit up into the bottom of the set screw that threads into housing. It will have some play, but that is so you can turn the bars. If it falls out after you adjust it, then the cable may be to long.

Interesting. If you read this thread (page 10):

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30867&page=10

You'll see that the OP was advised to removed the set screw.

Incidentally, when I was having a quick look on how to do it I noted that the diameter of the top of the elbow seems to be slightly larger than the inner diameter of the set screw. So it would been it would be wedged in to a degree. Still far from ideal surely though?

If you remove the adjustment screw it will make the cable think it is actually longer. Or maybe I am totally misunderstanding you. Your saying the elbow wants to fall out of the adjustment screw? Back that out as far as you can( 3-4 threads left) make sure the cable is adjusted in the carbs correctly also.

You are basically saying that you need the cable short enough to stay in place by tension. The only reason I'm questioning the setup is that on the stock throttle the elbow is kept in place by a little retaining clip and on my harley the elbow clicks into the housing. So I was just wondering why some kind of retention wasn't build into this throttle (or maybe I was just not seeing it)...;)

That I am, LOL.. Yeh my Harley is the same, but I have also seen alot of aftermarket ones that is this way also. Maybe wait for some one else to chime in, but that is how I always do it. They always have a little bit of in-out slop.

Lol na. Still have the orange bike left. The fat boy went to Australia a few weeks back( don't mind the pic, it was right after I got the xs from the PO, didn't do any mods other then cut the pipes up yet, don't even think it was wired). Needed to get outside my element a little. Keep us updated on how you make out with that..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 169
What you need is the "threaded elbow" type of fitting on your throttle cable, to screw into the throttlehousing, common on smaller bikes. Pic taken from Motion Pro website:

Attachments

• CableFittings.jpg
    CableFittings.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 178
Not a bad idea, but that would require getting one of those. I bought this as I was told it was a simple swap. Ah well...

On top of that I suspect that the monstercraftsman throttle using imperial measurements whereas the image you show, shows metric elbows. No threaded elbows in the V-Twin section..;)

Last edited:
Living out in the woods, I have to be creative like our OZ cousins.

I would chuck-up the existing adjuster in the lathe, bore it out to a gentle press-fit on the cable elbow end, cut-off most of the hex portion, leaving a thin shoulder. Then thread it fully/seated into the throttle housing, and press/fit the throttle elbow end in there, with a little dab of JB-weld, correctly oriented to the proper exit angle.

Then, after curing, the cable elbow could be unscrewed if/when necessary. When reinstalled and screwed down, it'll have the correct exit angle...

I hate to disappoint you TwoManyXS1Bs, but unfortunately I don't have a lathe standing around in a corner...lol...having said that, what you suggest is probably what I will try first. I probably don't need the lathe as the top of the elbow already seems to be a tight (but not impossible) fit into the locknut. I hadn't thought of the jb weld though...;)

Back