Muffler for '74 TX

littlebill31

Smells of Raw Fuel
Reaction score
After searching for quite awhile, I need recommendations for a mufflers to fit my '74 TX650.
As you can see in my picture, the bracket (hanger) is bolted to the foot rest and is an ear mount. They do not fit correctly either. Sloped up as well.
Yamaha shows that it mounts via bolt and it goes on the frame.

So, any ideas?
Thanks!

74_tx.jpeg

Screen Shot 2017-12-22 at 12.58.36 PM.png

Those look like pretty nice mufflers. Maybe you could add like a 6" long straight pipe extension to the headpipe and move the muffler back so it will hang from the passenger footpeg mount as it should? And for pipe, you might check out the chrome plated brass sink elbows in the plumbing department? Pretty cheap and I think they come in 1.5" diameters.

I agree with 5T; they look quite sweet to me, and very close to the original.
Just changing up the bracketry might be satisfactory.

2095991171_45d598e248_z.jpg

That slope up is how they are supposed to look littlebill.
jakobgoodnessgracious.jpg ,, ,,.jpg

I think i got the last good 74/75 Exhaust system off Evilbay. Couldn't believe i got them for starting price, no one else put a bid in.

These had a special muffler Bracket. The bracket part no changed for the 76-79 mufflers
left3.JPG

Last edited:
I agree littlebill - those are nice looking mufflers -perhaps mounting them a little further back would enhance the look.

Pete

Last edited:
... can you drop the muffler to the desired height... then break out the poster board and make a 3 hole triangular template.. two holes to the muffler..one to the stock muffler support....It more then likely will require a " Z " bend to go from the muff to the frame.... transfer to steel sheet.... cut, trim.. rattle can black.... :)

Could be looking at a muffler leak at the header/muffler joint if you lower the rear end of the muffler. 74-79 standard header angle is for a swept up look.

It seems as though they don't fit correctly either. I'll have to measure them. The connection between them is loose. Back fires like a beast. Pipe OD is much smaller than muffler ID.
You can also see the black area (carbon and exhaust build-up) between connections where the muffler doesn't fit over the pipe.
In regards to the upswept. I like the look. I should have mentioned the loose fit. The way it is mounted now, it has a sharper angle from connection.
I'll get some pipe and see what I can do.

Thanks for the help, all

I think someone else mentioned those look like MikesXs repos for the 70-73 which fit on smaller headers. I have a line on a set of 75 muffs (74-75) are the same. But I am selling a 74 locally and need to see if the new owner would be interested first cuz this 74 has the wrong muffs also. that (pretty nice) set isn't cheap then there's shipping. the 74-75 side stand has a real long tang to make it around the stock muffs also. Sharp bike lil-bill! I'm looking for dibs if you decide to sell the muffs on it now :sneaky:

They may be a "universal fit" type muffler. They come with quite large ends, like 1 3/4", and include reducer sleeves to neck them down to fit smaller O.D. pipes. But they still always leak. A reducer something like this would be better, but opposite to what's shown (slits on the small end, solid on the big end) .....

C6gYNkE.jpg

Back