My SX650 Scratch Bobber build

All kinds of clearance issues, sprocket did not fit hub, chain rubbed frame, chain hit fender and on and on. Resolved them except I need to cut fender a bit more.

The fender mounts are tacked and fender is screwed in, I need to trim where it interferes still, also notice the new lower fender bracket. Looks like I can go strut-less, fender is as thick as the seat pan.

Jackshaft sprocket for engine side is not on so chain appears to hang, I am getting it milled down to align chains correctly.

img0046fv.jpg

img0045dn.jpg

Last edited:
Love that chain setup. ditch the mikexs air filter for some velocity stacks or some uni pods. Other than that TOP notch work :thumbsup:

All kinds of clearance issues, sprocket did not fit hub, chain rubbed frame, chain hit fender and on and on. Resolved them except I need to cut fender a bit more.

The fender mounts are tacked and fender is screwed in, I need to trim where it interferes still, also notice the new lower fender bracket. Looks like I can go strut-less, fender is as thick as the seat pan.

Jackshaft sprocket for engine side is not on so chain appears to hang, I am getting it milled down to align chains correctly.

img0046fv.jpg

img0045dn.jpg

Your introduction sounds like your new to this but your work sure seems otherwise. You surely have some experience in some sort of prior metal working.
jefft

Wow thanks! Zero experience before I started this. Actually that blue weld cart was the first project I ever did in metal. I was a jet mechanic in the navy when I was 17 and been building or doing something mechanical for 35 years. I'm 45 now. Rode motocross and rebuilt 2 and 4 stroke motors done cams in cars, engine swaps, so I am pretty mechnaical.

I actually bent 5 frames worth of tube to get it right. Can't count the welds I had to cut off, tubes I had to rebend, and for gods sake the ENDLESS number of WRONG angles with the notcher. The posts do do show all the mistakes I and learning ad all the rework. But that is the point of doing this, it was more to learn less about the the bike itself. As I said I want to build one not really ride one. The build was really just to learn. What you see is what I learned, not the mistakes. ;)

Also Burned through two 12lb spools of wire and 3 tanks of argon/co2 learning how to weld. I do design stuff in CAD and have shops do the CNC it for me. Built a complete air gun that way actually. I am in software engineering so detail is part of my dna.

Actually here is the first frame partially finished, I decided it was too long, never finished it, so I made the second one you see in the post.

First frame, too long for what was in my head.
img0028og.jpg

Actually any one in AZ want a frame I have that spare longer one I made that is not done, it is as it isin the picture, you can have have free.

Last edited:
Cut off the lower shock mount (it was just tacked) and lowered the mount point about an inch. Felt seat was too high and created a awkward gap. Still not sure this is the right height, but I can adjust shock with air pressure so less travel is not an issue. A GOOD shock works so much better than springs. It costs though....

BEFORE
nupu.jpg

AFTER with lowerd seat. Thoughts?
scvo.jpg

The harley controls are too chunky with the clip ons, they are chunky as well. Whole front end where the bars are looks chunky about out of place.

What are your feelings with ape hangars and this bike? Sucker Punch Sally like.

I think you've done a hell of a job myself. I like the stance a lot. Seat does look better.
jefft

Thanks much, when I get around to riding it I hope it does not just blend in like every other Harley out there. Funny how something as trivial as the seat height changes the character. Where you REALLY notice the seat gap is when looking at 90 degree profile. When looking at it at as angle it is ot as bad, but straight profile the gap was awkward. Hence I never posted picture with that profile.

I need opinions on bar options. Problem is I need 1" bars for Harley controls and 7/8 throttle fur dual pull throttle. If anyone has any links to really cool bar options, I would appreciate them!

Really like this build. Your first frame would look good on some 23" wheels front and rear. I can't tell you how much steel I've wasted learning to weld. Need to start the process all over again for TIG.

I'm down in Tucson. I also have a current build going on this site. If your ever down this way look me up. Here is a link to my build.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23725

NEED INPUT...

Alright, seat was killing me in the hamstrings, I narrowed the seat, also lowered it another 1/4", put the clamp one UNDER the triple clamp and added a mock for the controls.

Here you can see lowered narrowed seat and the clamp one under the triples. The was way it was it was too chunky on top of the triple clamp. Will have the fork lowered 1/5" to eliinat the section sticking up if I go with this config.
c86.jpg

Here is the forward mock up. Do they need to be lower? How does the position look. Feels fine to me as a bar hopper, not sure I'd want to ride X-country on it. Thougthts on forwards with cafe bars?
ey32.jpg

Maybe a little lower on the forward controls. If you don't plan to be aggressive in the corners they can come down some. Also try pulling the clip-on back towards you, might ease the strain on your back.

One thing "for sure" with all these bobber, chopper builds is a certain amount of comfort is given up for the look.:bike:

Thanks yep. I lowered them about an inch and a half, looks and feels better. Checked lean angle, can still lean quite a bit, it is not a sport bike as you say so should not be an issue. Also I don't like any bar options, I am just going to make mounts and bars myself.

Put controls on, they seem a bit too wide but I have to put motor back in to know for sure.

How far from the foot peg mount point is considered normal for the lever controls to be? The area in red below.
Check the height also, for a cruiser, this too low?

umau.jpg

For a cruiser, this too low?
7n6d.jpg

Last edited:
Back