need a bit more clearance -how much will using taller tire buy me?

emzdogz

Aunty Em
Reaction score
I realize now that on my 80 chopper with drag pipes, eventually I'm going to scrape.

One option is get different pipes, some kind of high pipe set up, but I don't want to do that for $$ reasons, plus I'm pretty sure eventually I'd burn my leg.
And even then, the kickstand would drag, I think, at some point.

So I'm wondering how much higher a pair of the high sidewall tires would get me. Like say the Firestone 5 inchers, or the Shinko MT 90-16 like TC Bros has that looks like a high sidewall.
Now I have a stock-ish special tire on there, a 130 ??? lowish profile 16.

Question: those tires I mentioned, they'd only be TALLER, correct? not wider? in fact I guess my thought is they'd be narrower? the 130's I have on now have enough side to side clearance, but I guess I need to make sure these tires I mentioned aren't wider.

Also thinking of the bigger Firestone 4.00 on the front.

Between the two, you think that would get me another inch under the bike?

thx.
:)

Measure your tire height on your stock tire and I'll measure the height of my shinko mh90-16 and compare.

hey thanks! it is just about 23.5 in from floor to top of tire with a straight measure. (not wrapping it around the tire at all. Tire may slightly low pressure at the moment.
thanks

IMO tires won't help you in this situation. the right way to do it is to mod your exhaust. lesson learned and move on.

my shinko is 25" tall, so that would only raise your bike 3/4 of an inch.
what is your ground clearance now? A lot of guys run with 4" clearance.

The Firestone tires WILL give you more hight! The front 400/19 is 27.59" dia! And the rear 500/16 is 26.42". I built a bike with 3 1/2" frame hight on Dunlops and these tires raised it about an inch. The bike was built having these tires in mind. I use these tires on a lot of my builds:thumbsup:
cimg2006x.jpg
cimg1748m.jpg
littlebike2.jpg

ok thanks, Scott! that bottom bike is just stunning. So with it at that height (with tires) the kickstand doesn't hang up either, turning left? I bet the bottom pipe on that bike sits at about the height that my drag pipes sit (relative to frame)

I mean I'm not kidding myself a chopper is ever going to have sportbike type cornering clearance, I just want to be sure it's not any worse than my friends I ride with who have these huge low baggers, where they sometimes do scrape floorboards.

thx again....

Back