Need advice on pistons and cylinder kit from Mike's

Iowa Mark

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I finally tore down the top end of my motor. I bought the bike with the engine stuck and never got it to completely spin free, so it is time to look at the carnage. Bad rust and some pitting. Bored to 2nd over, pistons, rings, gaskets or buy Mike's big finned cylinder/piston 650 kit? I like that everything is included, but is the quality any good? Does anyone have real experiance with this kit? I have read about all the hit and miss quality issues from Mike's, and I'm hoping for a little advice.

Well, yes there are quality issues with many of the little parts Mike's sells, but for the most part, I've not heard anything bad about the bore kits. Then again, lots depends on your install. Are you capable of doing this? This is a bit more than a simple tune-up or carb sync. This is internal motor work and while not all that difficult (to the "informed"), it can quickly get out of hand.

Been running mikes 750 kit for a few years now 10,000ks+still got good comp but right cyl burns oil,probaly due to much fuel as right carb has problems,hoping to strip the engine soon to do a few more mods check out cam chain adjustment etc.still goes hard but a bit rattly, hope all will be reavelled soon

Yeah, I've run a couple of thousand k's on my Mikes big fin 650 barrel and piston kit and think it's fine. I liked the look of it before I assembled it and think the quality looks good but time will tell. For the bucks I'd say it's ok.
I have developed an oil leak from the head gasket but think it was my own fault and will address it soon.

Attachments

• DSCF2900.jpg
    DSCF2900.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 135
Have you retorqued? After a topend job you must do this several times in the first few thousand miles. If those are the original style rubber/metal washers I'm seeing under the outside acorn nuts on your head, you should replace them as well with copper or brass washers. The rubber style allow those nuts to come loose all the time which causes head gasket leaks. If you look at a lot of 650s, you'll notice most of them have head gasket leaks. This is why.

Every few days I go to xs650 Direct to see if the 750 kits are in stock and they never are. I guess I will have to settle for the big fin 650 kit.

I have the 650 big finned cylinder on my bike for 5000 km now. It works fine. Its from Heiden tuning. I assume its the same as the kit from mikes.

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 128
Thanks guys. Just the kind of comments I was hoping for about the kit. I know that the cylinder that sat full of water for who knows how long, might come back at second oversize, but I would have to wait before buying pistons. The rest of the motor looks good and only has 11,000 miles showing on the odometer, so the kit was a short cut to getting things running sooner. My big fear was my lack of experience with parts shopping on these bikes. Way back in high school (back when dirt was new) I thought J. C. Whitney rocked. And as for my abilities: I work as a Maintenance/fabrication tech in a hydraulic cylinder manufacturing plant. "I've got an awesome set of tools! I can fix it!"

Yeah, weighing the price of a two over bore along with the pistons and all- versus the kit......
If I was doing the kit I believe I'd save for the 750. I found a retired machinist that did my 2 over bore for 40 bucks, 7 years ago........

5twins : Yeah I have re-torqued but probably far too late and yes they are the rubber coated steel washers on the outer studs so I'm sure what you say is true in my case. Not to worry, the bike is running good and I'll pull the engine when the wet season arrives and sort it out properly this time around. Thanks for the advice, it's taken onboard.

Iowa Mark : My engine leak is not due to the kit we are discussing and I still say it's a good way to go. Good luck with your engine which ever way you go.

I'm with you Lakeview I've tried to order a PMA ignition and a 520 countershaft sprocket from them. Never in stock, no answers as to when they'll be in stock. Absolutely will not give a phone # or call me on my # Strange way to run a business. If I want one I 'll have to buy it in the States and import it myself I guess.

Back