Need better front brake for race bike

srastoder

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have 34 mm forks, '76 spoke wheel on my '76 frame race bike. I need more brake, so I am looking to find what rotor and caliper I could use. I have a stock rotor, drilled, braided line and EBC pads on new stock caliper. I have to run 2 piston setup, so second rotor is out. I hope some of you guys may have a suggestion on what newer, modern disk and caliper I could use with or without mountin brackets and or spacers. Brembo or other brand? Any help would be great. Thanks

Are youusing the stock master cyclinder? That was a 16 mm, try a 14 mm from a later XS650 or one of the 12.9 MC's that sell on ebay for around $20.
Leo

Left side Brembo on right side leading edge of 75 model 34mm forks with early rotor:

LxALDl.jpg

I used a 13mm Brembo MC, caliper bracket from Dan at pandemonium choppers, and stainless line from Yoyodyne.

This setup is really badass. I'm using it on my SR project, but with the 35mm kit from Pandemonium and on the left side. Won't have to buy a new caliper!

Are youusing the stock master cyclinder? That was a 16 mm, try a 14 mm from a later XS650 or one of the 12.9 MC's that sell on ebay for around $20.
Leo

I'm using a new MC from MikesXS 13mm. I used it when I had a dual rotor setup and it moved the fluid fine. With only one rotor it's kinda solid feel, not soft and lever doesn't travel much.

blackbetty:
That setup looks good, but it looks like your Brembo caliper has 4 pistons, two on each side. I need to find the one with only two pistons. Maybe like the caliper off of rear brake on a superbike, or older Brembo from the front. I use to have '96 ducati 916 and i think it had a 2 piston axial caliper.
Great stuff guys. Keep it coming, please

Last edited:
There is a pretty stout 2 piston off the R-1 rear. I think it's a Nissin or Tociko (probably spelled that wrong) but it runs on a smaller disc, Like a 260MM or something.

A lot of the dirt bikes use two piston brembos on the front. They're awful cheap on ebay, probably because all the street bikes already have 4 piston or better. (unless they're antiques like these bikes). The supermoto guys all dump the stock brembos on there because they mount 4 or even 6 piston callipers.

I'm using a new MC from MikesXS 13mm. I used it when I had a dual rotor setup and it moved the fluid fine. With only one rotor it's kinda solid feel, not soft and lever doesn't travel much.

blackbetty:
That setup looks good, but it looks like your Brembo caliper has 4 pistons, two on each side. I need to find the one with only two pistons. Maybe like the caliper off of rear brake on a superbike, or older Brembo from the front. I use to have '96 ducati 916 and i think it had a 2 piston axial caliper.
Great stuff guys. Keep it coming, please

Problem is unless you have a mill or CNC and a cad file you're kinda out of options w the 34mms, since most of the commercially avaliable kits are designed around the trailing edge style 35mm forks.

For example:

There is always this option (scroll down for caliper kit)

http://www.n-rperformance.com/chassis.html

Use R6 calipers on 35mm forks. This kit is geared towards SR500s but we share the same 35mm forks.

Then there's this option for radial axial mount Brembos, but again, 35mm forks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-SR-500-Brake-Caliper-Adapter-Bracket-Fit-Brembo-Caliper-on-Stock-Fork-/270876383934?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f117d9abe&vxp=mtr

But let's be honest......$100+ for an adapter bracket is ludicrous.

I have a 2 piston Brembo caliper (with pads) from a 2001 Ducati 996. I bought it to use on my back wheel, but bought a pair of Brembo 4 piston calipers and used them on front and back. The 4 piston calipers give great braking.

$35.00 plus shipping if you want it.

Attachments

• 517642617_tp.jpg
    517642617_tp.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 187
  • 517642648_tp.jpg
    517642648_tp.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 183
  • 517642738_tp.jpg
    517642738_tp.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 188
The std twin pot is a great brake, stopped 1000's of TZ's very well. Consider a TZ rotor (5mm thick) a change of master cyl (MMM) and braided brake line

Posted via Mobile

I have a 2 piston Brembo caliper (with pads) from a 2001 Ducati 996. I bought it to use on my back wheel, but bought a pair of Brembo 4 piston calipers and used them on front and back. The 4 piston calipers give great braking.

$35.00 plus shipping if you want it.

Is that T108 model caliper? If it is I'll take it. I found out that's what I need

Back