New bike build Title and Regestration

MattA

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Im new to this site and this seems like the best place to go for any motorcycle related questions. Im planning on building my first bike this winter and trying to have it done by spring. The parts used are mainly going to come from craigslist and the salvage yard. My question is, what parts of the motorcycle are supposed to come with documentation. Such as, if i go buy a frame or motor from someone on craigslist do i need to get a title from the person? I am pretty sure i just need to get a title with the frame, just looking for some feedback. I found a guy selling 2 xs650 motors and a frame but am holding off on buying them before i know any further information.

In most states a titled frame is all you need. BUT every state is different, a few have had problems with their DOT with engine numbers. For sure get a title and get it into your name before spending any more time and money on a project. You may need a state cop to look at teh bike verify VIN sometimes even check for safety features. Some state's require a notarized signature.

Here's some idea's of what PA requires
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-buysell.pdf

MattA, it's a shame we have this paperwork stuff before we can get down to building and running these bikes, but it seems you will have to get the legal stuff done. Welcome to the forum.

Anlaf

I have known guy's who have a ton of time and money on custom bikes only to find a head ach at the end instead of the joy of riding.If you have a clear title for the frame that's a good start unless the engine came out of a bike that was reported stolen you should be good there.Try to get the #'s from the frame and engines and the local MVA will do a search for you before you buy.:bike:

In PA, you need a title for the frame. You do NOT need a title for the motor.

Do yourself a favor and buy an original Yamaha frame with a clear title. You do not want to mess with PA's 'special construction' B.S. You can even cut the neck off of your titled Yamaha frame and weld it to another frame... you just need the original VIN number on the frame neck to match the title.

PA is a notary state... so be sure to get the title notarized when the previous owner transfers it to you. If you don't, the MVA will NOT transfer it to your name.

If the seller tries to tell you how easy it is to get a title ask him, If it's so easy why didn't you get one.
Basically a no title bike is a parts bike. Not worth the hassle. To many out there with a title.
Leo

Back