New bike, help me figure out how to start it....

MuttB

XS650 Member
Reaction score
This is a little embarrassing but I bought a 82 xs650 a few days ago and trailered it home. I couldn't actually take it on a test ride because my hand is messed up from an accident last week but had the owner start it cold and ride it up and down the street so I could listen. (he started it first kick) Anyway, Ive never owned an old bike before so consider me a newbie. My bike has been converted to kickstart only and has ex500 carbs on it. Today I tried to get it started...Pulled the choke out, had it in neutral, put compression in the cylinder with the kick starter and got it going...however the peacock was in the off position and it died about 50ft down the road. throughout the day I tried to get it going with the peacock on and couldn't get it to start. (side note:the guy i bought it from forgot to give me the gas tank key, its in the mail, so i can't look at the gas) However it sounds like there is at least a little gas in the tank. Is there something I'm missing? Do i need to do something since i ran it out of gas? Thanks guys.

Yeah there's something you need to do.... let your hand heal up first. Bike's not going anywhere.

Generally speaking, sounds like you did everything right the first time (except for turning on the gas). For it to not run now, though...could be a few things.

I'm going to assume that the bike is timed correct and the carbs are fine...since it was literally running earlier.

So two thoughts come to mind: Perhaps you flooded the carbs... Or perhaps have shorted out the ignition?

For the flooding... What kind of petcock do you have? is it manual or vacuum fed? If it's manual, it only has an on/off (maybe a reserve)...if it's vacuum, it will have an on/prime/res...no off, and you'll have a hose connected to it that goes to the rubber boots holding the carbs to the engine. When you turned it on...which setting did you turn it to?

For the Ignition, Your bike may have a Pamco Ignition...although an '82 would have come with a TCI ignition-- Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with any of the electronic style ignitions, but I've read that if you leave the bike powered without it running, it could fry it...at least for the Pamco... Someone with more knowledge can better explain it... or better yet, you can search via the top/left "google custom search" box to read more about it.

Anyways, more info & pics of your bike would really help.

Hi Mutt and welcome,
what you can do real easy on a Special is pop the filler cap.
Pop the cap by moving the cap's latching-arm backwards with a thin screwdriver or a hacksaw blade pushed under the front of the cap.
Once the cap is open just perhaps adding a gallon of gas might fix the problem.

Attached are some pictures of my bike. The choke cable won't stay out on its own so you have to shove a piece of metal in there to keep it out. I'll be replacing it soon. I wasn't able to pop the gas tank cap but should have the key in two days. I STILL can get it started. Help.

Attachments

• IMG_3538.jpg
    IMG_3538.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_3536.jpg
    IMG_3536.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_3535.jpg
    IMG_3535.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_3537.jpg
    IMG_3537.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_3532.jpg
    IMG_3532.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 268
As mentioned, you may be low on fuel. Flip the petcock lever so it points straight up. That will be the "Reserve" position and should allow you access to what little fuel you have left.

Attached are some pictures of my bike. The choke cable won't stay out on its own so you have to shove a piece of metal in there to keep it out. I'll be replacing it soon. I wasn't able to pop the gas tank cap but should have the key in two days. I STILL can get it started. Help.

Hi Mutt,
a picture is worth a thousand words, eh?
Your XS650 Special has the ~one gallon bigger XS650 Standard tank on it.
Although the Special and Standard gas caps LOOK the same, they ain't.
The caps don't swap between tanks and the Standard gas cap is eff nigh impossible to pop.
There's no way short of doing major damage that it'll open without a key.
I've no experience with your orphan carbs but if the choke is cable operated the cable's handlebar lever should have a friction damper that can be tightened to keep the choke on.

Last edited:
I think those are EX500 Kawasaki carbs. They use a choke cable but I don't think it's installed.

Good news, turns out it was the battery. I charged it up and it started first kick. Bad news, now its out of gas and I have to wait on the mail for the gas tank key to arrive. Thanks all

If only there was something that could warn a person that their battery was dying.

Oh, wait a minute, there is something:doh:.................I think its called a voltmeter, and it could even be mounted on the bike!

Good news, turns out it was the battery. I charged it up and it started first kick. Bad news, now its out of gas and I have to wait on the mail for the gas tank key to arrive. Thanks all

Hi Mutt,
one of my alternate personalities is Mr. Hasty.
What he'd do is leave the fuel tap turned to ON, remove the fuel hose from that in-line filter, plug a joiner into it, run a length of 1/4" fuel line from the joiner to a big funnel, tie the funnel up higher than the tank like an IV line and backfill a couple of gallons of fuel into the tank.
Me, I'd put the battery on a maintenance charger and wait for the mailman.

If only there was something that could warn a person that their battery was dying.

Oh, wait a minute, there is something:doh:.................I think its called a voltmeter, and it could even be mounted on the bike!

If only you knew what you were talking about. Mine has been removed. I don't know if you noticed but my bike isn't stock. I said I was a newbie not an idiot.

If only you knew what you were talking about. Mine has been removed. I don't know if you noticed but my bike isn't stock. I said I was a newbie not an idiot.

Don't be so defensive, the lads on this site will help you solve most problems on your bike. angus67 and myself are trying to give you a clue as to something that may be happening on your bike. Its very common on older motorcycles. See if you can solve the mystery.

Hi Mutt,
of course you are an idiot.
As is anyone who tries to keep a 40 year old motorcycle running.
That's why we are all on this site, eh?
As a newbie with a much modified XS650 you may not know that none of them ever did have a Voltmeter fitted at the factory.
And although many have fitted aftermarket Voltmeters to their bikes you can do a Q&D Voltage check using your garage wall.
Point the headlight at the wall.
Rev the motor up from idle to ~ 3,000 rpm.
If the light gets brighter, she's charging.
If it don't, she ain't.

Hey Mutt
Great bike! I've been working on an 83 XS650 for a couple of years. Be patient and don't rush anything. This forum is full of characters of all kinds but they will get your bike going. There is so much knowledge here just be patient and ask questions, and good luck!

I discovered the perfect tool for this recently, one of those little mini pry bars .....

MiniPryBar-1.jpg

The gentle bend on the "flat" end curves up perfectly to catch and push the latch open .....

FlatBar2.jpg

Inserted.jpg

It helps to push down on the cap slightly so the latch will unhook easier.

I imagine the OP has the key by now. But that's a pretty cool little tool...I'll have to remember that.

Back