New bike, not an XS but it should be cool!

Yamaha_chop

Fabricator Extraordinare
Reaction score
Hey guys, figured I'd post up my latest bike I bought. Got a great deal on it because the guy who owned it needed some extra cash for a trip he was going on. Fortunately he was someone who realized that he was never going to get around to working on it, and he let it go to me. Really appreciate people like that.

Anyway, check it out. 1975 Ironhead Sportster! It's kind of a basket case, but that's my style for sure :)

Here's some pictures when I got it:

bike2_zps76942c2c.jpg

bike1_zps9e01674d.jpg

What a beauty :laugh:

Took a few minutes and stripped off some things to get a good idea of what it will look like later. I want to make this bike as skinny as possible, nothing but an engine and two wheels. Hopefully I'll get a springer front end for it. Spool front wheel, drum in back :eek: Not sure what sort of gas tank I want for it yet.

bike3_zpsf6a7c354.jpg

bike4_zps84d57f03.jpg

I make every bike look tiny :doh:

bike5_zps876a2bf0.jpg

And my favorite helper offering her opinion

bike9_zps1560b902.jpg

There's still a bunch of odds and ends he's going to give me for this bike, so it should be a fairly complete bike. I'll try to sell some of the stock stuff to recoup the initial investment.

This bike won't be worked on for awhile yet. Still have to finish and sell the street tracker project, then get the turbo bike tuned right, then I can work on this thing. The plan is to keep the frame stock, and just tinker with it doing minor things like mounting a new seat, gas tank, make handlebars, ect.... Little stuff to keep me busy without making a massive fabrication project. I'll slowly rebuild the engine and clean and paint everything, should be very relaxing. Hopefully when I'm done I'll have a bike that is the ultimate badass poser bike, which you'll never want to ride for more than a half hour at a time. After all, what else is a Harley good for? :laugh:

The old owner said he had a sporty tank he could give me. I'm totally over those these days though, in fact I just sold mine last week! So perhaps I'll take it from him and sell it online too :) I have no idea currently what tank I want....

Rad.. I will build a old harley some day..

Hopefully a shovel, but a old iron will work as well.

I want to build one that would be super scary to ride.. No front brake, suicide shift...etc

I revived a rolling basket 1973 xlch ironhead and rode it for 7 years... It got about 25 miles per gallon at first but with a good carb it averaged 43 mpg. I'd keep the oil cooler. I eventually got a 4 gallon Mustang tank, that was an improvement. I would avoid high compression ratio pistons... I ran 10:1 and it pinged like crazy. Then I went to 8:1 which tamed the beast, but power was soft... If I were to do it again I'd stick with the stock 9:1 and modify the heads for dual sparkplugs

The CV carb that harley used during the 1990's and beyond is a good upgrade. The struts which support the rear fender hang from a section of the frame which should be supported. People often remove the supports which add a bit of trianglation but without the supports the frame will crack

Im very jealous. I want to get one of those in my garage some day, the problem is they hold their value (or the owners think they hold their value) so its tough for me to find an affordable one when I am already on a tight budget. Interested to see how everything comes along!

Rad.. I will build a old harley some day..

Hopefully a shovel, but a old iron will work as well.

I want to build one that would be super scary to ride.. No front brake, suicide shift...etc

Don't forget the apehangers and always carry your organ donor card.

Tank suggestion....use two split tanks (fat bobs), narrowed down of course. One for gasoline and the other for oil. Remove stock oil tank, should clean things up a bit too.
Shave the legs
Make it a kicker only and get rid of that massive battery tray.
I have a girder for sale with an 18" wheel and rabbit ear bars

I've owned 2 shovels and 2 pans. Wish I still had one of the shovels. Don't miss the other 3. My business partners ride ironheads and are currently building XSs from my parts piles so I guess I'll someday be putting myself together an ironhead. It's strange, as different as the XS and XL are, they both attract many of the same riders.

Tank suggestion....use two split tanks (fat bobs), narrowed down of course.

My Dad was talking about using the split tanks. I like the idea of narrowing them though. It would be a shame to lose the stock oil tank though, for some reason I really like the way it looks.

Sportsters , and Harleys in general have gone down in price in the last few years , at least in my area. There are so many for sale at one time so if you have cash and are a bit ruthless you can pick up a decent running ironhead for around $3000. Not even worth buying a basket case anymore unless you just need to have greasy fingers all the time.

Many areas are like that. In North Texas, you can buy XL's down into the 3-4 K range. Dynas and Softails for 6-8K and FLs for 8-up, depending on year and equipment. You can get pretty good deals on early carb equipped twin cams, which is what I would buy if I was looking.

One day I'd like to try out one of those right-side shift Ironheads just to see how different it feels. I love Sportsters.

ETA: I have this fantasy that once the XS is done I'll sell it off/trade it for a Shovel.

Years ago, when the Dead Sea was only feeling bad, I bought a '70 XLH brand new. Wound up in a head-on with a car - totaled the car and didn't do myself any good either! Started rebuilding the bike but wound up selling to finance college. Always wanted another. Found a '71 a couple years ago - runner at a fair price. Has a massive oil leak from the primary and maybe case halves.........haven't gotten to the bottom of it just yet. Anyway, would be nice if there was a similar forum as this one (hard to beat in my estimation!) for the Sprortster. Anyone know of one? And by way of information, the Yamaha 650 (I ride a '73 TX) became a "target" of mine from the first day I saw one in 1971.......... Both scooters (along with my Indians) will hopefully stay with me until I assume room temperature.... Been a motorcycle fan as long as I can remember - all kinds!................Wesley

XL Forum is pretty good for Sportsters. It's a bit tough to navigate but there's alot of good information and knowledgeable posters there.

Back