New Chain and Sprockets

diab

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm preparing for a 9000 mile trip around America, and I would like to make speeds of 60-70mph more comfortable (lower rpm). I have the stock 17/34 setup right now. I figure since my chain needs replacing, this would be the time to change sprockets. So basically, would 17/32 be a noticeable change, or should I do more? Thanks a lot.

17/ 32 is what I have. If you go less than 32, you might not like it from a dead stop. You will have to use more clutch and gas to get going.

Hey, diab, welcome to the forum.

I did a lot of x-country on 18-34 at 70-80 mph, but found myself occasionally searching for 6th gear.
Have you looked at the Australian primary drive re-gear?

Advise on chain: For that kind of duration, get a good quality X-ring chain. The Parts Unlimited chains are made by E-K, and I have used several. I get over 20K miles out of this chain on my SV650. It's messy, but I lube every 350-400 miles with 20W50, and the chain lasts longer and does not develop tight links with the 20W50 like it does with spray-on chain lubes. Can't help much on the gearing, but if I had time to do 9K, I probably wouldn't care about speed that much, but I also realize you can't roll around and be hood ornament bait all day! There's some well experienced folks here to help out with the gearing.

Which rear tire? What do you weigh, how much "stuff are you going to throw on the bike? Fairing, bags? There's an upper limit to how much the 650 can drag along at 70 MPH. What ignition and carbs are you running?

IMHO With a heavy load, drop the RPMs too low and it ain't gonna like it.

Hey, diab, welcome to the forum.

I did a lot of x-country on 18-34 at 70-80 mph, but found myself occasionally searching for 6th gear.
Have you looked at the Australian primary drive re-gear?

Thanks. I haven't heard of the Australian primary drive re-gear?

Which rear tire? What do you weigh, how much "stuff are you going to throw on the bike? Fairing, bags? There's an upper limit to how much the 650 can drag along at 70 MPH. What ignition and carbs are you running?

IMHO With a heavy load, drop the RPMs too low and it ain't gonna like it.

I'm about 270, trying to drop some, but its a slow process. I plan to not exceed a load of 330 or so. Everything on the bike should be stock. Its still fairly new to me, so I am still learning about the bike. No Fairing and soft saddlebags. Thanks.

Im running 18/34......and Mikes OD 5th gear. I weigh about 330lbs...give or take.

I started off just swapping to the OD 5th gear......bit less wound out at highway speeds but not quite what I wanted.

The difference going from a 17 to an 18 was huge. If I had it to do over again I wouldnt bother with the OD 5th gear, Id just change the front sprocket.

I dont have any trouble climbing hills.....usually.

The other day I was on a ride and we were fighting 30mph headwinds.....a hill with a 30mph headwind will bring my bike to its knees.....throttle pinned.....loosing speed, out of 130 miles of riding I had to drop to 4th only once - but I was really working the bike.

18/32 and there's no change in the chain length. Have to remove the shift shaft guard. Gets around 4K RPM @ 60 MPH. Running the hills and hollers around here I do a lot of shifting to keep the engine above 2500 RPM.....don't lug her. 75 MPH on a straightaway is a twist of the throttle and around 5K+ RPM. Smooth sailing with balanced carbs and tires. Faster? Dunno as I'm a bit chickenshit above that.....old men take longer to heal.
I'll say that you've got close to a hundred weight on me so Pahako's 17/32 for lard asses might work out well ;>) I recall running 17/30 and I believe the removal of 2 links from a stock length chain was needed. 17/32 may put the stock chain at the end of it's adjustable travel.
Heck, pick up an 18 and 17 front sprocket and a 30 and 32 rear.....they don't cost anything to feed once you have them.

The Aussie club has a neat little delrin shift shaft guard advertised for when you are running an 18 tooth sprocket, better than the bare shaft.

I would not go with the 18T. I ran one I spent more time adjusting the chain than riding. Pushrod seals leak a real pain in the ass. Chain rubs the shift shaft. I run 17T and 32.

What kind of RPMs do you get around 60? And what length chain do you use? Thanks.

Not 100% sure. My tach bounces between 4 and 5k at 60mph. My bike can go all day at 60mph. Not sure how I feel about it going long periods of time at 70 or above.

I use a stock length chain. I think 104 if I am remembering correctly.

Back