New Chain and Sprockets

I used a good quality X-ring chain when I changed to the 18/30 combo. I've adjusted it once in the last 2 yrs and it never hit the shift shaft.

I used a good quality X-ring chain when I changed to the 18/30 combo. I've adjusted it once in the last 2 yrs and it never hit the shift shaft.

How many miles have you got on that chain. Not many I would guess. It must be a real slug off the line and a real joy getting it to the freeway.

If you are taking a long trip the 17T and 32 is best other than the stock gearing. It is a noticeable change and you might need to slip the clutch a little on takeoff. My 1980 had the 55 MPH noted on the speedometer. Back in the day when it was built Yamaha built the bike around that. They also had to work with the horsepower the engine produces Under 3500 RPM under 20 HP 4000 RPM 24 HP 4500 27 HP 5000 RPM a whopping 32 HP. The Yamaha 650 is in its comfort zone and mine 5500 RPM.

Actually, once broken in and kept lubed every 350-500 miles, I have only tweaked my chain tension at my 4000 mile intervals. The first 500 miles I had to adjust it twice, for the initial stretch, but then it wore extremely slowly. When they near the end of their service life, they get noisy and start stretching again, and requiring frequent adjustment. The X-ring chains last the full life of a steel sprocket set, and make the most sense to me.

About 3K on the chain.The bike has plenty of power for me, not bad off the line and after awhile you don't even notice the change anymore. You do notice the change when you get up to 60mph and your hands aren't going numb from the vibrations. Everyone is different and for me the 18/30 combo is the best I've found but I don't ride the freeway much and stick to the 55mph backroads. My V Star 1300 is the highway "star". Some bikes are better a certain things, an XS650 on the freeway for any long distance is not a good combo IMO unless you enjoy pain!

Grinder I disagree. T constantly ride 300 mile day trips. Not abnormal vibration, of course one of my bikes is a BSA and I have owned a 1967 Bonneville. Keep them tuned and carbs balanced, the vibration are reduced, These will never be a BMW or a Golgwing but they sure are fun.

Last edited:
I just did a 250 mile ride on the XS a couple of weekends ago. It is fun to ride once and awhile but not for long trips. That 250 mi was like doing 2500 on the star but I'm an old guy! Once you ride something smooth it's hard to go back. The Star is like a lazy boy on wheels..very comfy.

its funny years ago i rode my xs from nth qld to victoria and back every wet season for work and never realised it had axcessive vibration untill i got on these forums (the xt 500 now that was a chore) use to run 17/30 for the trip and change to 17/34 for at home and in vic.main thing is maintaince= less vibrations

I've decided I'm going to go with 17/32. Does anybody know if I can get the sprockets/chain off of motorcycle superstore? I'm going to order a new rear tire off of there and I figure I might as well get everything I can from there to save on shipping. Thanks.

I changed from standard 17/34 to 17/32. Noticeble difference. Feels calmer at higher speeds but still have the power for more active riding. And I can still have a passenger without feeling slow on the startup etc.

And I didn't have to shorten the chain, just changed the "tightener" bolt to a longer one.

Sorry, didn't see that you were going to replace the whole package. Then it would perhaps be a good idea to change to 30 while your at it. But if you after the trip would like it to have more power, then 17/32 would make it easier to just change the rear sprocket up again without having to change the chain (or add extra links)

I went with 17/31 - I couldnt get a 32 tooth in the UK but I like it. Pulls well from stand still and i can sit at 75 - 80 with no problems but its happier at about 65 and the potholes are easier to spot ! :)

I've decided I'm going to go with 17/32. Does anybody know if I can get the sprockets/chain off of motorcycle superstore? I'm going to order a new rear tire off of there and I figure I might as well get everything I can from there to save on shipping. Thanks.

Yes, MCSuperstore should have everything you need. If not, check Dennis Kirk for similar pricing and customer service. Both great to work with in my experience.

I'll just throw this out there....changed out the engine on the '83 and the replacement had a good 17 tooth front sprocket on it so I left it on along with the 32 tooth rear. Did a couple of loops with this setup..........
Today I changed it out for the 18 tooth front. Can't do a 17 front unless the rear's a 30. The
17/32 or 17/34 is about the same IMHO......just using the lower gears to get to 5th and then wishing for 6th? Yeah, she'll pull from a lower RPM in 5th with the stock gearing but it's a different bike being able to utilize all the gears with a 17/30 or 18/32. Some of these twisters around here are great in 3rd gear, 30 plus MPH at around 3k plus RPM with 18/32.

Been riding a 79, 750 kit, with (apparently haven't pulled the LH cover yet) 18/32 sprockets, With that engine i like the gearing. I'm 170 it powers away from stops and cruises at 70-75 with no sweat and little vibration.

Been riding a 79, 750 kit, with (apparently haven't pulled the LH cover yet) 18/32 sprockets, With that engine i like the gearing. I'm 170 it powers away from stops and cruises at 70-75 with no sweat and little vibration.

Great to hear some confirmation! Might have to eat some humble pie iff'n that's a 17 under there...lol.
We're pushing about the same weight there, G.
The clincher and final analysis was having the '77 geared 18/32......taking that out on a loop and then taking the 17/32 geared '83 out on the same loop. Total different ride and not pleasurable on the '83. Tomorrow I'll reconfirm the value of the '83, though I am liking the 'fickability' of the 18 inch rear tire as opposed to the 16 incher...........

When my rig hits the road, I'll be running the stock 17/34 sprockets but with a 23" rim. I'm guessing it will be in the neighborhood of 18/30.

Back