New clutch still slipping

Can I ask what kind of oil you used?
its important to use a "jaso" rated oil anything rated for motorcycle use would be the stuff.
I did this once with a sport bike i rebuilt .. i put regular car oil in it because its what i had.
I know you tried new oil but are you sure it was motorcycle oil?
heres a link to a blown up view of a 1980 bikebandit didn't have a 78 listed

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/1980-yamaha-motorcycle-xs650g/o/m8271

I guess I missed the link. I tried measuring. Came up with about 25 mm, thats close to .950 inch.
5twins, thanks for the link, I think I saw some of those springs on ebay. Maybe I'll buy them.

I have some of the red ones. Not sure if they're the same as in the link because they came in an SR500 parts bike but boy are they stiff. I used only 3 with some stockers for awhile but the lever pull was still really hard.

Can I ask what kind of oil you used?
its important to use a "jaso" rated oil anything rated for motorcycle use would be the stuff.

Castrol 4T motorcycle oil. Meets JASO standards.
I started the tear down today and will get inside the side covers tomorrow.

Did you get my Pm?.Check if the steel plates have one side with sharp edge and the other round.If they do then there is a chance that you mixed the plates.They either go all facing one side or the other.If the plates are the same on both sides,either sharp or round then it won't matter how you pack them.Oh...sand the steel plate on both sides with medium emery paper.

Success!
Pulled both side covers today. Found nothing wrong on the left side...didn't expect to, really. But, I took the opportunity to replace a leaking starter cover gasket and install a one piece push rod.

Didn't really find anything on the right side either. The new friction plates measured 3.0X mm and everything looked like it was installed correctly. We did line up the dots on the pressure plate and basket; they were off.
What fixed it, I believe, was the springs. We used 3 of the Barnett heavy duty springs and 3 tested, known good stock springs. The springs we removed were noticeably shorter than either the Barnett or stock springs.

Everything works great now! My Dad took the springs we removed and will test them, just out of curiosity.

You say the hole and dot weren't lined up. That was the problem. It only fits right in one position. Marks lined up. If they aren't lined up the holes in the pressure plate will rub on the towers the screws screw into. This rubbing is enough to not let the pressure plate press on the clutch plates. No pressure on plates, it slips.

Back