New guy, dumb question re tools

thedanned

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi all

New owner of a 79 XS. Mild cafe-ish with drag bars, bar ends and Mikes gauges. Didnt come with a tool kit (surprise) and I cant figure out where I would keep one if I had one. Where do you all keep a small tool kit? There isnt much storage space that I can see.

:confused: :shrug:

Mine has a small space next to the battery box on the left side. I don't know if that is the factory spot but I think you could fit a few wrenches and a multitool in there.

There isnt much storage space that I can see.

It's a very minimal tool kit they give you. But sizes are pretty much 10, 12, or 17 mm, until you get to stuff you couldn't do by the side of road anyway. Moreover those sizes correspond to 3/8", 1/2" and 11/16" (I think) since metric tools were rare in the U.S. back in the day. Believe it Or Not.

I carry the tool kit from my Honda lawn mower in there since the mower is home in the garage with all my regular tools.

I sell these for $75.
100_1601.jpg

100_1600.jpg

I used two carriage bolts, pretty good sized ones but I don't remember the size. The square part of the bolt shank fits the engine mount bracket's slotted holes.

galvanized-carriage-bolts-GCB-04.jpg

The bolts go thru the slots in the engine mount with the threads facing forward (away from the engine) and into two holes in the tube. A short piece of flat bar inside the tube slips over the two bolts before the nuts and lock washers are tightened down. The flat bar distributes the stress so the bolts don't try to pull through the plastic when a heavily loaded tube feels a big pot hole jolt.
I used one of these to get inside the tube to tighten the nuts:
cp828.jpg

Tools, who needs tools. Fix it right and you don't need no stinkin tools.

I keep a multi-tool or leatherman under my seat in between the
frame and battery... But it's a yamaha fix it right the first time
and she will never break down, tool bags are for old Harleys!:thumbsup:

Back