new guy here need some help

the hellion

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
hey all! stumbled upon this forum and i need some help :/. doing a cafe bulid on an 74 xs 500.
how can i wire bike without using battery?
do they make a magneto for this bike or could i rig an xs650 one?
can i take the starter out if its going kick only?
where can i find parts for this thing?
any help would be greatly appreciated thanks all

:banghead:
81xv750 - cafed
74 tx 500

dont know bout that other stuff, since most here have 650's, and unsure if yama made 500's then, thought they were 400's, but anyway, on my 650 chop, I had planned on a kick only, and just kept the starter installed, but not wired, that way, when it is time to tune the carbs, hook up a starter relay from a old ford/dodge(the kind that isnt attached to the starter, mounts on fender well), use a auxillary starter button, (two wires with a momentary button) and jumper cables to a car battery.
Car battery, because it hold charge longer while finding gremlins. I believe these gremlins hang out around the rotors. lil' bastards.

It was the model right before the xs that started in 75. It looks like some work to remove it so I'm kinda torn lol ill see how it goes through

- i only know this german site

- there is this yahoo group-not so active but you may find more help from there

- had a reputation for hot spots between the valves and cracking the head casting-later 1 piece head was supposed to be better...balancer chain trouble...plugs siezing in the head...valves burning out

- this is also interesting

- parts list

- wiring diagram 78

- some photos from poobah500

Was it? I haven't researched them very much tough I would love to own one. The virago is my daily driver and I was fucking with that so I had to pick up this tx.

Back