New guy here! Needed help with pamco advance timing.

LeoXS650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys/gals,

New guy here with a 1979 xs650.
I have installed a new advanced ignition system, and it requires to reset the timing to advance. And that's where I'm stuck at. I hope I'm at the right place. :confused:

Attachments

• 20150720_195227.jpg
    20150720_195227.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 269
A little more detail would help, so you've got the Pamco installed yourself? If yes, the way to set timing is to start the bike with only the Pamco wired to a battery. Once you do that, grab a timing light and hook it up. Once you do that start the bike, the way to set timing is to turn the sensor plate clockwise or counterclockwise to advance or retard. If that's confusing, I'll go further. What I mean is with the cam cover off on the left side of the engine you see the sensor plate with two screws securing. Loosen those screws and turn the plate until timing is correct, then lock it back down.

:doh: I want to apologize for not giving out enough details.
Yes I installed the newE-Advancer ignition system myself, as I was following his instructions. (PamcoPete)
Andyes I do need timing light to turn the sensor plate, but how do I turn the sensor plate? And is there a way I can do it without the timing light?

Go to your engine and look and the Pamco unit on the left side of the engine with cover off. You see that plate with the wires connected to it? Those red and green and black wires that go to the coil and battery? There are two screws holding that plate into place. You loosen those screws and turn the plate left or right to set timing. You could try and time without a timing light if you got really good ears I suppose.

Unfortunately I don't have good hearing... because I'm deaf. As I finished installing the ignition system and it does not have a battery, only kick start... and I tried to kick start it just hoping that I don't have to reset anything. It only sputtering but cannot get her start running.

Yes it ran good but the original PamcoPete ignition system sucks bad, because of the resistor and diode keeps on falling off. So I decided to buy a new E-Advancer for it. And he told me that I'm gonna need a timing light to reset something to a zero. Which I have his brand written all over my bike. Here's the picture down below.

Attachments

• 20150905_214319.jpg
    20150905_214319.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 260
LeoXS650,

As figure8 suggests, temporarily connect the PAMCO to a battery, or install a battery in the bike. Adjust the plate to the recommended start position to get the engine running and then use a timing light. It is not possible to get an accurate timing without a timing light.

Make sure that all three of the locating pins are installed. There is one on each end of the advance rod and a third pin in a hole in the cam shaft on the advance side that engages a slot in the advance replacement cap. It's the third pin that sometimes gets left out.

Review the installation instructions: http://www.yamahaxs650.com/Installtion of E-Advancer.htm

I'm a little confused, your picture shows a PMA, not a Pamco. The PMA is a crucial part of setting timing, but just want to be sure your talking about the same thing we are.

Ok, it's not a pamco. Wow... I was told different... anyways. Yes I do believe that were on the same page. I'll use the battery to get her start right up and then adjust the timing.

So let's start over just a little. You are sure have a Pamco ignition correct? From your picture I know you have Hughs Handbuilt PMA. The flywheel on the PMA is what you look at to time, it's got that white line on it to indicate TDC, fire etc...so you understand the difference? The Pamco is in a completely different spot, not trying to condescend, just want to be sure you know the difference.

figure8 you aren't a lone ranger. I too was confused by the questions bout the pamco but pictures of the pma.

Rotor3.JPG

I am a little confused here .......The pamco fits where the pionts used to be the PMA Perminant Magnetic Alternator goes where the Stator goes left side bottom of the engine where the gear selector is. to set the timing on the pamco you move the backplate as you would with pionts so the strobe light flashed the timing mark on the PMA on or within the "F" mark stand for firing mark when you blip the throttle the timing light mark will move to the left to the advanced mark. to retard the timing move the back plater to the left to advance the timing move to the right the bit you move is or the flat alliminium disc that now sits where the old points system was which has the silicon chips and wires going to... you undo the to Philips screws the first one at 11 oclock (see pic above) and the second one at 5 Oclock in (see pic above) when you get the timing right you just lock the two phllips screws...
The new E anvancer fits in as per istruction but you need a 60 degree rotor not a 90 degree rotor could this be you error
6090.JPG

All the best Funky

Last edited:
Back