Its Time to Start Again

I found this simplified diagram a while back, does this seem to be somewhat accurate? It seems pretty straightforward. Is there anywhere I should really look out for?
using this one.jpg

That will work and is one way to do it. The example shows a PAMCO type ignition (electronic points), for points there would be another wire (grey on Yam) with the orange wire with condensers in parallel and two coils. You could also go with fewer circuits and more splices or more circuits and fewer splices, but the above is a reasonable option. Appears to use multi-pole Ignition switch as starter button too

Don't know if it was previously pointed out, but when you order your supplies, get some extra wire and some extra pins.... then practice practice practice...
Those Molex style pins can be a bit finicky 'till you get the hang of 'em. I haven't looked, but there's prolly some how-to videos on Youtube.

Not to put too fine a point on it now, but the diagram has the horn wired backward: the buttons usually provide ground via handlebar and the horn itself receives fused power directly. A starter button generally works the same way and provides ground to the starter solenoid (blue/white in diagram), but if 3-pole iggy switch is the starter the diagram is correct

So I was digging through boxes and found an m-unit from what research I've done it seems to be a replacement for the fuse box system, and really expensive, is this something I should go ahead a use instead and how would this change the current wiring setup?
WOW!!! Yes it's expensive... and hell yeah, use it. I believe JP even has experience wiring it up.

JP?

Hmmm....yes, I drank the M-Unit koolaid 😁. I used one on the bobber as I wanted the momentary handlebar switches, like the cool kids. IMO they unnecessarily complicate the wiring, especially if using "normal" handlebar switches: all the switching inputs rely on an earth signal (except key switch).
20220909_224224.jpg

Anyway, yes, they are highly sought after & ~$500 new nowadays. They replace fuse box, flasher relay, etc.

So, decision time: design the wiring using the M-Unit, or sell the M-Unit and fund $3-400 worth of other stuff

Before diving into the deep end with the M unit, wire up a SIMPLE harness, ignition only is fine and find out if you have a WORKING ignition. Those mike's iggys have a bit of a reputation. Ditto Pamcos on capacitor only (no battery) electric systems.

Will it work on cap only
No.....they (despite common wisdom) are very touchy on input voltage. I know Motogadget says "battery only", but in addition there is no way it would survive the spikes the typical Cap would put out. Where did the Cap discussion come from?

Back