new keihin carbs bike wont start, bummer

Jasoned23

'77s been sitting a while
Reaction score
so i installed these today and i cant get the bike to turn over, did i do something wrong
every other kick i give it i hear a popping sound and when i had a buddy kick it so that i could hear where it was coming from, i also noticed fuel dripping out of the small hole at the bottom of the carb. this is the first time i have ever done this so its probably something super simple that i'm just not doing right.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 248
  • photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 236
Choke on (in up position) I tried with the sync barbs connected and just plugged. When conected I can see a small combustion go through the tube

I can't see the choke lever. On the Mikuni VM34 carbs the choke lever is pushed down. Lifting it up turns it off.

I'm gonna give it a few more kicks in the morning with the choke in the other position, I also read on another thread about these carbs that the person drained them and tried it again and it started right up. something to do with the floats I guessing but really don't have the knowledge base to diagnose. thanks sometimes it ends up being the simplest thing. Matter of fact the first three times I kicked it the ignition was off haha

Make sure the float bowls and needles are working properly, dripping gas is usually sign of a stuck float or needle and a flooded carb...

looks to me that in the pics you have your fuel shut off.........

I'm just bugging... I'm sure the pics were taken after you shut it off.
On these carbs the UP is the choke ON position. You may not even need to choke it.

Probably just a stuck float being that the carbs are "NEW" no worries. Clean off your plugs and blow out the cylinders.

check out the new thread on these carbs to sync them close enough to get you going.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3446

You're cable routing looks suspicious to me. If the slides are hanging up it probably won't start. Read the thread bobber33 posted above carefully for the information on setting up the cable and idle screw adjustments.. Pull the air filters off and make sure the slides aren't hanging at all.

Also i have two petcocks so I ran the carbs one to each of them this is correct right? and from what the other thread said it sounded like linking the sync barbs is correct right? Gonna drain the carbs and make sure the floats and pins are all goo in the am. Thanks guys.

As far as the cables go I'm pretty sure that the slides are all the way down, the cables were a bit long even after routin to the left so I have them pointing back and looped around before headin to the throttle.

As far as i know the cables should be facing forward.... thats where the pull is coming from.
Unless your throttle is on the rear fender.... but thats just me.

I have them looped really gradually around since they are too long but I can feel the beginning of the pull was going to adjust after

I might run the cables forward from the carbs, with as few bends as you can for now. reroute after you get things working.
Being new pulling the bowls off and spraying up around the float valves and spraying down the fuel inlets will flush any stuff out of the float valve.
As others said the chokes pull up to be on. In your pic the fuel is turned off. I assume you had the fuel turned on when you tried to start the bike.
Having the vaccum barbs plugged is right for now. Once you get it running and the carbs adjusted right you can try linking the barbs with a hose.
On your petcocks I might put in inline filters.
If there is room, hooking a tee into each line and hooking them with a short hose so both carbs can feed from both sides of the tank.

Every thing checks out floats working, needles not stuck slides come down all the way down still getting a backfire from the carbs when I kick it over. And won't start lameo

Might seem like a dumb question, was the bike running before you put the carbs on?
Have you dislodged any wiring on the ignition?

I was assuming the ignition was all hooked up after installing the throttle cable since I get spark to cause the carb backfire. (newbie sorry if that's totally wrong)
P.S. This forum is amazing, thank you all for you help troubleshooting.

Back