New Member from Maryland - My shed find

Old_bashturd

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

New to this forum. I'm 55 and have been riding on and off since I was 12. I had a 79 650 Special many moons ago, but of course sold it for another scoot. Always liked that bike, but really preferred the looks of the earlier XS and TX. I told myself if I could find one cheap, I'd grab it. Well it turns out I got one for free! My wif'e co-worker was making room in his shed and offed me this 1973 TX650 with 23k on the clock. It looks to be all original except for the missing side panel and trim on the other. The engine turns over, and I was able to goose it into 2nd. The pipes look to be a lost cause, but the tank and paint on it looks really good. Its rusty inside, so I;ll have to take care of that. Rear fender looks good, but the front is rusted through on the bottom. When spring arrives, I'll pull the carbs and soak them, de-rust the tank, lube the clutch cable and change the oil and see if I can get her to fire up. The owner said He had it running a few years ago, but didn't have time to keep her going. He also pulled the pads from the front brake because it was locked. Right now it looks like I'll just do a mechanical restoration on it, clean and polish the paint, replace what I have to and try to keep it as original and stock as possible. Cant wait to get started.

Attachments

• IMG_0499.jpg
    IMG_0499.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0501.jpg
    IMG_0501.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0508.jpg
    IMG_0508.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0500.jpg
    IMG_0500.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0503.jpg
    IMG_0503.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 165
Welcome Old_bashturd. Getting one of these for free is certainly a bonus. Thats a nice year to restore. This is certainly the site to be on for anything concerning this bike. Good luck and look forward to your progress.

Hi and welcome. Nothing like a new spring project :wink2: Look forward to seeing your progress

Welcome! Looks like a good canidate to bring back to life. :thumbsup:

Hello, I was bitten by the project bike bug recently myself. Is it hard to re-build carburetors? I bought a 1978 XS 650 that hasn't been running for some years. I was told I need to re-build the carbs because they are most certainly varnished. You can see pictures of my bike by searching under my screen name.

There is enough information here and other places. If you have enough mechanical ability to tackle a project bike, you should not let the carburetors intimidate you.

It was a 79 special, but turning it into a street tracker type. Wasn't a big fan of the specials style, if it was a standard then a different story.

Is it hard to re-build carburetors?

No. It is not. its a lot of cleaning, new rubber bits and bobs, a gasket and replacing anything that's died to death. But compared with a lot of things, it's no harder than anything else on these great bikes.

Washed off the dust and dirt before I start tearing her down. She's still a 50 footer.

Looks the the tank paint is beyond repair.I'll miss that island theme ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0515.jpg
    IMG_0515.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0516.jpg
    IMG_0516.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0517.jpg
    IMG_0517.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 178
Looks good, a nice restoration project. I am restoring a 1977 xsd 650 to original condition. It had been sitting outside for 30+ years. Lots of rust and the Engine siezed. I have torn the the bike right down and had the frame and all black parts blasted and powder coated. the engine is torn apart and has been sent in for glass bead blasting and clear coating. I am hoping to have the engine back this week. A new wiring harness, solid state regulator/rectifier, pamco electronic ignition, permanent magnetic kit, front brake calliper and housing, front brake master cylander kit much of which are installed.
A few challenges I have encountered were; the manual was wrong showing the piston installation for the front brake master cylander. the piston spring in first, then the piston opposite to the photo ( for the XSD Model); the wiring diagram in the Service Manual is not colour coded to the new wiring harness and some of the old electrical parts wires, some of the connectors have changed, which of course are not shown in the manual diagram. Any info that can assist me with this wiring complication would be much appreciated.
XS Direct in Canada has been great, orders are accurate and arrive promptly - very impressive! This form XS650.com and you tube have been extremely helpful with my restoration project. please feel free to contact me at e-mail rwandler@sasktel.net if you wish.
tc

Welcome to the site from another old baster. The TX 650 is a good looking bike to start with. Another member here from your town has one. :thumbsup:

Back