new ownership woes

strang

XS650 Addict
Reaction score

Went to see this bike, loved it, bought it, rode it home.
When I bought it, the electric start was not really working but it kick started 1st time (well 1st time I did it properly!). Now today I go to start it back at my place and I just can't get it kick started.
So I try to bump start it - no good. Next thing happens is the ignition light won't come on any more. So I take the battery down to the local garage to get it tested - reads 12.4 so all good I think.
So where do I go from here learned people?
I've been tuning up my bikes/vehicles for a while but I'm a complete novice when it comes to wiring so some idea of where to start would be much appreciated otherwise I see myself using every sunday till christmas looking at diagrams and chasing wires i'm not entirely sure of their usage.

There is no igntion light. Maybe you mean neutral light? Does the tail light come on?

Have you checked for blown fuses?

Find out if you have spark. If not, then find out why. Probably not one possibility more likely than the rest. If no spark, start by seeing if there's 12v on the coil.

There will be lots of work cleaning and repairing connections, on any of them.

Also, when you bought it, it might have been started earlier in the day. That would make it easier to start. Especially since you have little experience kickstarting. Put your whole weight on it and kick the sheeit out of it. And don't overlook the obvious - make sure it has plenty of gas.

Sorry i meant neutral light.
thanks for reply - you inspired me to go out fresh just now and have another look.
I checked the fuses again (I did check them earlier as well) and it has a blown main fuse.
I think what happened is I might have flooded it by using too much choke (it's warm here and probably didn't need to be taken out the full 2 notchesl) then I've taken the battery out to be tested and in the process blown the 20a main fuse.
Will get a replacement tomorrow and try it all again ; )

Oh I think I was twisting the throttle a bit mad as well - probably bit overkeen to go for a ride in the sunshine.

That is one nice lookin' bike ya got there.

it's an 1980 model and she's pretty aint she?
and i got her goin again : ) it has a dodgy wire around the fuses and yes it seems to like a full choke even in summer!
Riding in the sunshine today was wicked, the vibes, the roar, people look at you on this bike, and good god they hear you as well. Loved it.
With only 2 bugbears (I'm a critical type):
Found the handling scary as hell but i've already read up on a few improvements on this site of knowledge.
The low torque taking off at the lights is quite jarring but once it get's open road it just feels better than anything i've ever felt (well almost!). Anyway to stop it jerking so much when it's given throttle? It feels like it's a rockweiller on a leash sometimes, which is cool but maybe not always.
It's a man's bike for sure - you have to grab it by the scruff of the neck.

Good description of the feel. Sometimes it takes a fresh set of eyes to put things in perspective... of course i've oly had mine for 2 months... haha

I noticed some unknown part down by the front brake rotor anybody know what it is or what it does. Strang do you know ? Can you take a closer picture

Jerkiness pulling out isn't normal. Probably a clutch issue.

For the handling, check the play in the swing arm. If there's over a mm or so you ought to put in bronze bushings. Lots of people replace the ball bearings in the neck with a different kind, but I don't have a problem with original style. It should be smooth though; no notches.

disk locks are great, except when you keep forgetting you've left them on ; )
when i say jerking it's not what in my australian childhood we would call kangaroo hopping (clutch control problems) but more the surge of power taking off in low gears. Not the engaging of the gears but the actual thrust of the bike if you will. Maybe I just need to use more clutch control? I think i'm used to - when a bike is moving it's ok to just use throttle but maybe even when it's moving i need to use some clutch to smooth out this power kick in?

Check carb synch. Especially if you have some backfire on decel.
When everything's working, they have decent low end torque.

Back