New to me XS 650D

TC1040

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks, I had a XS650E that I bought new in 78, was my only mode of transportation for years. That bike is long gone. About 12years ago I shared a vendor spot at Mid Ohio vintage days with a couple of friends, one of them came back to the vendor site pushing a 77 XS650D in great shape. I told him if he ever wanted to sell it let me know. I have not talked to him in quite a few years. Fast forward to a couple of months ago I find a note in my mail box he is selling his bike collection and wants to know if I still want the 650. I go look at it, he had put it in his basement with his other bikes and not touched it. It looked the same as when he got it at Mid Ohio. Spoke to my wife and she said go for it. I will never find another one in this condition. The gas and carbs had been drained so I used a hanging gas tank dropped a battery in and it fired right up! It will need tires/chain etc. but that's the easy part. I am working on a 75 RD350 right now so the 650 will sit for now.

Attachments

• IMG_0820.JPG
    IMG_0820.JPG
    513.7 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0826.JPG
    IMG_0826.JPG
    505.1 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0843.JPG
    IMG_0843.JPG
    398.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0829.JPG
    IMG_0829.JPG
    483.4 KB · Views: 132
Hi, TC1040, welcome to the forum! You have got yourself a great find - the 1977 standard is a highly desirable model, that one is very low mileage and looks to be in outstanding condition for a bike that age.

There is lots of advice on here about bringing an old bike back to life. I'll just offer this one but there is more if you have a look around in the Tech section

http://www.xs650.com/threads/367

I see you've already started the engine so some of the advice will not apply. But tell us how you get along with the bike, what you do with it, ask all questions, put plenty photos oh and, Good Luck! Cheers, Raymond

Back