newb, looking for feedback on XS

zero

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hello,
I am new to the forum and motorcycles. I've been looking for late 70's bikes because I like the look and I don't have to much money right now for a big down payment. This is going to be my first bike and planning on keeping it for a while. I found one on CL, 78 XS650 for sale, asking $1200 obo. with 20K miles on it. My questions is, is the price to high for this bike? I think it is especially seems I seen cb's starting at $1000. I like this bike b/c is the standard, kickstart and it has some miles on it so I can assume that the bike did not sit idle for years. Any suggestions are welcome, thanks:)

If it is this one it looks to be in pretty good shape from the only picture posted. $1200 may be a little on the high side but the way that the prices on these vintage bikes has been going up it is not completely unreasonable. First thing to remeber is to disregard anything the PO says about the bike. Look it over really well for yourself noting any deficiencies for haggling on price and make sure it has a clear title and the vin on the bike matches the vin on the title. Probably the best thing to do is come in with a low offer say around $800 (depending on what you find on a close visual inspection) and see if you can get them to come down to under $1000 which I would think is a more reasonable price based on what I can see. If you get them down to a price you feel comfortable with and you bring it home have a look here so that you can get her in good running order and mechanically sound.

thanks, that is the one. that was actually what I was going to ask for, around $800 or so. based on the fact that I almost got a cb550 for $1k or less. anyways. I think I'm going to stop by and take a look at it. I know a friend of mine has a cb750 and he knows a guy around the area that specializes in vintage motorcycles and he got his in an awesome shape for a very good prize. I am also looking into doing must of the upkeep and repairs as long as i can.

you are right ippytatto, the prices are going on up for some of these bikes especially if the seller is aware of the current trend for vintage bikes. Anyways, thanks for the info

UPDATE,
Hello everyone, after a long careful thought, I went ahead and made a trip to check the bike (40 min drive). Checked the bike and everything was in what IMO was in good working condition. I did find a leak on the left side of the gas tank near the petcock so I will need to check that. It needs a new seat and filters but other than everything works :) Anyways, after haggling for a while I was able to get the price down to $1000.00. I'll be picking the bike today so I will post some pictures later this week and give more details about the good and the bad. I am very excited!!.

Congrats, looks like you can keep it stock and just ride.

Wow I wish I could get a bike that nice for a grand. Ok condition specials go for 2000 around here..

I payed 1500 for a non runner franken bike

Good buy mate.

Oh, a green one, don't see many of them. I think you'll find this bike cheaper and easier to maintain than a four. Carb work on fours can get expensive, you need 4 of everything.

thanks for the feedback, I'll be doing an oil change ASAP! I will also start an new thread for this bike since I am going to have a lot questions about it (especially in the transmission and clutch area)

Back