NOS 1975 gas tank on eBay

DogBunny

Motorcychologist
Top Contributor
Reaction score
s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264382553892
The only problem I see is that it has the later style gas cap -- this has been discussed before, it is normal for later production 1975 tanks. The earlier cap is MUCH nicer.
Seller has a reserve on it, so don't know what he really wants for it. If I was selling it I would put a "Buy it Now" price of at least $400 on it, maybe even $500 -- not sure, the cap is sort of a problem...

View attachment 144388
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264382553892
The only problem I see is that it has the later style gas cap -- this has been discussed before, it is normal for later production 1975 tanks. The earlier cap is MUCH nicer.
Seller has a reserve on it, so don't know what he really wants for it. If I was selling it I would put a "Buy it Now" price of at least $400 on it, maybe even $500 -- not sure, the cap is sort of a problem...
Nice tank! I always think about re painting my 75's tank and side covers but applying the decals scare me
Although I have 2 of them (75's) and could use the other one to measure when applying the decals
One day I just got to take the leap

Having a spare tank to verify the placement of the decals is a good idea, but actually applying them is surprisingly easy. Plenty of YouTube videos on it.
I think the trick would be matching the tiny silver and blue-green metal flakes in the paint -- doable, I would think, but probably expensive.

Boy, that tank looked perfect! I hope you get it, I’ll bet you could recoup most of the purchase price from selling yours.

I bought that tank for my ‘77 from an eBay sale. I got it pretty cheap and when I contacted the guy I told him I was actually going to pay him more in exchange for him packing it extra well, that and the fact that he had way underestimated shipping costs. Anyways I’m happy I did that because when it arrived, the box had a crushed corner and a tear in it but the tank was perfect.

Nice tank! I always think about re painting my 75's tank and side covers but applying the decals scare me

Like Dogbunny said, decals aren't all that bad...for a tank, with compound curves, etc...I'd go with the spray bottle w/drop of soap/water solution...allows you to slide the decal around to find the perfect placement. getting both sides to match is sometimes a bear...but having a second tank to work from/measure...that's priceless. :)

Like Dogbunny said, decals aren't all that bad...for a tank, with compound curves, etc...I'd go with the spray bottle w/drop of soap/water solution...allows you to slide the decal around to find the perfect placement. getting both sides to match is sometimes a bear...but having a second tank to work from/measure...that's priceless. :)
I looked on U tube and what you are talking about makes sense!

Got my fingers crossed that it will be good. The seller has already revealed it has a small paint chip in the petcock contact surface area.
Its better than my current tank, anyways.

For many years, I have told friends and family that I'm too old to receive presents. Thats just for kids.
So, they complied.
But privately, I actually love to open boxes.

This one is my 65th birthday present to myself.
I admit to being a wee bit excited.

75 Tank 001.JPG

Its nice. Like the seller said, very light scratches. In about 4 places.
Gotta look real close.
I think they'll buff out.
I'll be gentle, using 3M Finesse-it.

75 Tank 005.JPG

75 Tank 006.JPG

For many years, I have told friends and family that I'm too old to receive presents. Thats just for kids.
So, they complied.
But privately, I actually love to open boxes.

This one is my 65th birthday present to myself.
I admit to being a wee bit excited.

View attachment 145491

Its nice. Like the seller said, very light scratches. In about 4 places.
Gotta look real close.
I think they'll buff out.
I'll be gentle, using 3M Finesse-it.

View attachment 145492

View attachment 145493

So.....going on your bike? Or on display?

Back