not wanting to shift into secound???????

jonboy-xsbobber

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I need some help I found a spring in my sump I looked and posted a thread about it but after looking it over I figured the p.o replaced what ever it was but after running it my bike doesn't want to shift into second unless I pull the shifter twice it also doesn't want to down shift into neutral this is the spring could this be my issue? ill post a picture of the springs in the right side engine case as well

Attachments

• phone 186.jpg
    phone 186.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 85
  • phone 193.jpg
    phone 193.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 105
  • phone 011.jpg
    phone 011.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 478
pretty easy with a pair of needlenose pliers, you don't even have to remove the clutch basket.

I changed the spring and still no change if I leave it in 2nd it shifts up and down fine its just from 1st to 2nd doesn't work unless I pull up on the shifter twice fast when the engine is at the right rpm if its not it won't go it just shifts from 1st to neutral I'm stumped any ideas?

Jonboy, the famous German manual on the XS says that two springs work together to prevent loss of gear problems (including neutral).

The two springs are the top one, and the one in the neutral detente unter the bolt on the crankcase top, just above. Replace one, replace both.

Anlaf

Jonboy, alternatively, the shifter-shafter may need adjusting using the adjuster screw - you will need to remove the clutch assembly to access it.

I have removed mine on two ocassions to adjust, and the problem was sorted on both ocassions.

Anlaf

Ah! ha, jonboy - first, don't panic.

Drain oil, remove the right cover, unscrew six retaining bolts, remove plates and discs. Undo the 27mm nut, slide each part of the assembly off (usually slide it onto a long screwdriver as it comes off so I can put everything back on in the right order.

And that's it.

BUT - take care not to disturb the kickstart assembly, and make sure you keep all washers, spacers, and the one thin crush bearing in the order they come off - I would video what you do, and hey, what the heck, post it for us to see, and if you need help, we are here.

This is the opportunity to examine the clutch plates and that crush bearing for wear (the plates might look good, but it is a matter of measurement).

When you have adjusted the shifter-shaft, replace the clutch assembly. Careful to torque down to spec. Replace cover (do not forget the kicjstart washer that might have come off stuck on the inside of the cover). Make sure you add copper washers to the lower 5 casing bolts.

Put oil in, and that's about it.

Anlaf

If you look ay jamesgs4's pic you will see how the arm with two teeth sets on the bottom of the shift drum. You can see that from the teeth to the pins on the shift drum is the same amount on both sides. Check this in 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear. If yours looks like this then you won't need to adjust anything.
If it doesn't look like that pulling the clutch isn't hard. The how to is in your repair manual.
Leo

Back