OK to use DOT 5 brake fluid

Only if it has been completely.... and thoroughly flushed. Or if ALL components are brand new. Dot 5 is silicone based, and is incompatible with Dot 3 or 4 (the rubber parts and hoses swell shut when mixed). But there is Dot 5.1 which IS compatible.

The anti-sqeak pads are there to cushion and isolate the harmonics that increase with brake use and dust accumulation. If it wasn't an issue they wouldn't put them in.

Hi Growl,
like they said, ONLY use DOT 5 in a system that's squeaky clean or better yet, has only new hoses and seals in it.
DOT 3 or DOT 4 or the DOT 3/4 that Canadian Tire sells all happily mix together.
NONE of them will mix with DOT 5.
When DOT 3 etc gets contaminated with water it makes an emulsion that makes the brakes work less efficiently.
DOT 5 don't do that. Water contamination settles in the lowest part of the brake system instead. If that lowest part is a steel tube it'll rust and come freezeup it can lead to problems but who rides a Harley when it's that cold, eh?

I've spilled brake fluid at least once or twice in the last 40+ years, If cleaned up quickly it won't hurt the paint.
On the water contamination, just replace it every couple years.
Leo

THANKS for the comments gents. My brake system is apart and ready to assemble...so a switch to DOT 5 is doable. The only advantage that I can see (since I never have had brake fluid boil) is the paint issue... but that IS appealing actually.

I put DOT5 in one of my bikes years ago. Back then in the '80s, it was all the rage. I feel the paint thing is about all it's got going for it. It was a lot of work to make the switch and I would never do it again. Standard brake fluids have improved to the point where I don't think the 5 works any better. It is also quite a bit more expensive.

Back