Outer clutch drum NOT tight???

BigBoreSwede

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello.

First.....this is a complicated thread because of all the names of all parts in and around the clutch but I´ll try my best:thumbsup:

With the whole clutch assembly mounted as it should be I´m able to wiggle the outer drum/ primary drive a little bit. It doesn´t sit tight on the shaft, is that how it should be or have some parts reac there wear limit???

In Haynes I can´t find any spec on wear limits or mesurements on the shaft, washers, bushings and so on.

Hope you all know what I mean:)

Thanks/BigBoreSwede

Attachments

• FB269857.JPG
    FB269857.JPG
    251.6 KB · Views: 156
  • FB269849.JPG
    FB269849.JPG
    292.4 KB · Views: 157
  • FB259017.JPG
    FB259017.JPG
    269.8 KB · Views: 133
Here are some diagrams. Note that the thickness of washers/bearings are given in mm.

On my bike the PO had left out a washer on my clutch. All PO's are nasty people and cannot be trusted:D

Attachments

• Clutch Assembly.jpg
    Clutch Assembly.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 140
  • Revised clutch.jpg
    Revised clutch.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 152
Thanks for the specs RG!

I really don´t have a clue but I would say it´s possilble that the spacer shaft and/or the bush in the outer drum is worn.

I mean, even if the thrust bearing, for example, would be worn out the outer drum would sit tight on the shaft or am I wrong here??

Or maybe the outer drum is not supose to sit 100% tight on the shaft even if it´s brand new?? With some oil in there the axial play may be negligible??

A lot of :confused::confused: this time/BigBoreSwede

check to make sure that the aluminum basket is tight with the steel gear part of the assembly

Attachments

• Revised%20clutch.PNG
    Revised%20clutch.PNG
    142.6 KB · Views: 153
Hi.

Okay, so I´ve been taking a closer look on this clutch assembly and realize that the play I can feel by rockin the outer drum back and forth/side to side are due to some clerance between the spacer shaft and the bushing in the basket.

Now, maybe there need to be a certain play to let the oil in between.....otherwise it´s worn out. Problem is I can´t find any specs on the basket bushing ID. or ID./OD. on the spacer shaft.

(Jayel, the gear sits tight on the basket)

Thanks/BigBoreSwede

BigBoreSwede;

This is your lucky day:D. I have the measurements from my clutch (78SE) when it was last apart.

Spacer shaft: ID=0.979" OD=1.376" Thickness= 1.181"

Basket (Housing): ID=1.378" OD=2.045" Thickness=1.064"

Mine had only 0.002" between Spacer OD and Basket ID

Hi.

Sorry RG.......I can any of guys any mesures since I don´t have the gauges to mesure I.D........or O.D that big. Need to take a trip to the hardware store soon.....again:)

With my "second" basket mounted with the rest of the clutch it get much more firm once all the plates are installed......but there´s still a VERY! little wiggle.

Now summer has come to Sweden and it time to hit the road......not fiddle around with the bike more then absolute necessary. Sometimes you´ll need to gamble:yikes:

He he...no worries, everything works and sounds good so I´ll put another mile or so on this engine for now.

/BigBoreSwede

Back