overcharging

kuthe64

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Latley my headlight has not been coming on and my neutral light is dim. I had it charged about three weeks ago so it shouldn't be dead. Yesterday I was on the highway and it just wasn't accelerating as fast as normal. Then I'm assuming the loud noise was a back fire it died and I had no neutral light and it would not kick over. Brought it to advanced auto and the battery is dead. I drive three times a week for 40 min at 70 mph shouldn't riding give it a charge? the guy at advanced said it could be overcharging Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a start:

1- charge up the battery with a 2 amp charger, usually takes 6 to 8 hrs, so overnight is fine.

2- if you have a volt meter, connect it to the positive and negative terminals of the battery and check for voltage at 4 different times;
a- key off = should be 12+ volts
b- key on = should be 12+ volts
c- bike at idle = should be 12+ volts
d- bike at 3,000 rpm = should be 13.5-14.5 volts

3- remove left side cover round plate, and check the two brushes for length, outer one wears the fastest and number one cause for low battery voltage.

4- if you don't have a volt meter, just watching the headlight to see if it's very dim and doesn't brighten up when revving to 3,000 rpm is good indicator of charging problems.

Bike quite because battery went dead and dead battery due to charging issues.

My guess.

kuthe64 - don't use a car battery charger, and yes, Brian902 is spot on with the essential multimeter.

Once the battery is charged the multimeter is likely to point to the problem (shorting, loose connection, bad earthing, failed wires)

anlaf

Everything went good except for the very last step it started at 12.4 and didn't go any higher then that. Does that mean that it is the brushes?

If the battery reading does not increase when you rev the engine it indicates the charging system is not doing its job. Might be something as simple as a loose connection, or as fatal as a dead rotor or other element that would need replacing.

Anlaf

It would be nice when you come asking for advice if you give your details. Year, stock (or not). Many add this info to their siggy. (see post above this one) a picture or two often does wonders for the "over the shoulder guys" trying to help also. Follow the expanded guide linked to above, ask questions on anything you are unclear on.

Sounds like you need to check your reg/rectifier ground. It sounds like it's not dumpin the highvoltage into the frame like it should.

Back