What color should these tins be?

• Candy green and white a la XS1

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Candy gold and white a la XS1

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Candy red and white a la XS2

Votes: 17 32.7%

• Total voters
....... Thankfully, if you're using quality products, it's a pretty rare occurrence. Nice save!
On quality products: that job I posted above was one of the few times I used House of Kolor paint - good stuff. I used their epoxy primer (KD3000) on bare substrate surfacer and thinned as sealer "bonder", base coat and metallics on stripes and their "Show Klear" . That clear (USC01) sprays very nicely (easier than PPG Concept), gloss is awesome, but man is it soft! I assure you it was mixed correctly and even now (3 months) it'll scratch if you look at it wrong. You can see scratches in the 2nd pic above and that tank has never been touched with anything other than a washed microfiber towel. It really is for "show" paint jobs. Their website recommends Kosmic Klear {UC35 Acrylic Urethane) for motorcycles and I should have listened.

1+ on that.
I'm prolly a little too anal, but I use Rustoleum tar and wax remover and 3M glass cleaner.

View attachment 218394
As far as I'm concerned, you cannot get the surfaces too clean. BTW, I use Sprayaway glass cleaner from my local Ace, it's very economical or a waterborne cleaner from Southern Polyurethane (I buy it by the gallon, more cost effective) for final clean. For solvent clean, I use either PPG's SX440, which is like a million dollars, or Southern Polyurethane's wax and grease remover. Both work well, but if I've got some particularly stubborn wax, I go with the PPG.

On quality products: that job I posted above was one of the few times I used House of Kolor paint - good stuff. I used their epoxy primer (KD3000) on bare substrate surfacer and thinned as sealer "bonder", base coat and metallics on stripes and their "Show Klear" . That clear (USC01) sprays very nicely (easier than PPG Concept), gloss is awesome, but man is it soft! I assure you it was mixed correctly and even now (3 months) it'll scratch if you look at it wrong. You can see scratches in the 2nd pic above and that tank has never been touched with anything other than a washed microfiber towel. It really is for "show" paint jobs. Their website recommends Kosmic Klear {UC35 Acrylic Urethane) for motorcycles and I should have listened.
I've used H.O.K's color's, but not their clear. Thanks for the feedback.

Purple XS1-B

1657854619951.png

1657854638811.png

Saw some deep purple with white stripe tins being showed off on FB last night.
View attachment 220775
Hmm wonder where those came from???

He have any comments about 'em? He ain't said jack to me since he got 'em back. Thought maybe he wasn't happy with 'em.

Thanks! If I may....
You can re-pressurize 'em and watch the bubbles. If they start growing, you've got a weld to fix.... if not, feather 'em out and re-shoot.

Fwiw, we NEVER went higher than 2.5psi when checking tanks in the airplane world.

Beautiful repair Jim - you truly are a talented painter!

....and yeah, I gotta say....I'm certainly not a paint expert, but it seems to me that 10 psi is a pretty high pressure for something as big as a fuel tank (even a bike tank).

If you consider that an XS650 fuel tank is about 18-20 inches long and has an average width of about 9-10 inches, that is about 160-200 sq. inches of projected area. At 10 psi (i.e. pounds per square inch), you'd have upwards of a ton of force trying to separate the top part of the tank from the bottom welded-on section.....like hanging two Harley's on the thin sheet metal.

Pete

Last edited:
Hey Jim. When I picked up my motor I told you I had some HOK lacquer. I was wrong (first time ever) it is Urethane. If you ever need this crap just let me know. Kandy Brandywine:yikes: Quick somebody hand me a towel.
DSCN0137-001.JPG

Back