pet taps on an xs2

nairb

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally put the fuel taps back on the xs2 tank. They have been rebuilt with new seals. Put some petrol in to test if it all still holds fuel.
Thought I had put both taps to off. That is both taps pointing in the same direction. NO - one tap was letting fuel thru - and it was on "reserve". Off was in the opposite direction.

So my question is..... Reserve and off are is opposite directions for left and right taps. Is this correct. Is there something I have missed

Ta
Nairb

One off will point front, one will point read. The main peacock body is the same except where the fuel line nipple goes.

In other words, there's a left and a right.

Posted via Mobile

One off will point front, one will point rear. The main petcock body is the same except where the fuel line nipple goes.

In other words, there's a left and a right. You stuff is normal.

Posted via Mobile

Thanks for that ... Its good to be normal once in a while. I sat and looked at the thing and thought that yamaha would surely make both taps work in the same direction.

The other thing thats come to mind is that I have set it up with the fuel nipples pointing backwards. They can both point froward if I swap them over. I presume pointing back is correct.
Anyway .... it started and more or less ticks over fine(ish). Second time its been started in very many years.

Now comes the hard part

Fuel nipples point backwards,that's correct.
For the fuel taps yes one points forward and one backward very confusing when you are trying to turn the fuel off in a hurry !
What's your next step ? Mine is going for its Mot on Saturday,this is its first big outing in probably the last 25 yrs .I must admit I am a bit nervous about riding it as I have rebuilt it myself ,I have ridden it around the block and it started and stopped ok .

Just run with one, less confusion that way. The bike won't mind.
Leo

Just run with one, less confusion that way. The bike won't mind.
Leo

That is the best thing I have heard in ages. I looked at these taps and thought "what a cock up".

One tap is the way forward. The right hand one me thinks.

Ta
Nairb

I paint the screw head red on the petcock where it says ''STOP''. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 20140605_183656.jpg
    20140605_183656.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 107
Mine is going for its Mot on Saturday,this is its first big outing in probably the last 25 yrs .I must admit I am a bit nervous about riding it as I have rebuilt it myself ,I have ridden it around the block and it started and stopped ok .

Yup, its a worrying time. I have the same situation. First time on the road with a newly built bike thats not been anywhere for maybe 35+ years. The last 2 bike I rebuild made it to the mot station and passed. But ONLY just made it home afterwards. All those parts that work for a while - then fail. Carb floats/rectifiers/carbs blocked etc. It took a month afterwards to finally fix all the faults that slowly appeared.

Let me know how it goes..... I hope to go for an mot next week also

Nairb

If you decide to go with 1fuel tap go for the left one as you will want to keep one hand on the throttle while fumbling under the tank with your left while doing 70 mph on the outside lane ,yes it happens to me .lol
By the way I have just been getting some insurance quotes ,the cheapest so far is £123.00 this seems a bit steep what do you think ?

By the way I have just been getting some insurance quotes ,the cheapest so far is £123.00 this seems a bit steep what do you think ?

I have a quote on 4 bikes incl the xs2, gt750/550 + an expensive one. for 155 fully comp and unlimited miles. Garaged over night. And breakdown

its Peter J____ on 0121 506 6040. They are liked by the gt750 club hear in the uk

But I might leave the xs2 off and add it when I think its actually working ok. Its needs to be registered as well - what a pain I expect.

My suggestion is not to remove a petcock just use one. I think the later petcocks, I know my 75 has a left and right, just not sure what year they changed.
The only thing is that when using just one you don't use all the fuel in both sides of the tank. The tunnel keeps part of the fuel in each side of the bike. Not a real problem, most people keep the fuel level above that point anyway.
Each petcock feds the carb on that side, there is a crossover tube between the carbs that feeds fuel between the carb, so running on just one petcock feeds both carbs.
Leo

My suggestion is not to remove a petcock just use one.
The only thing is that when using just one you don't use all the fuel in both sides of the tank.
Leo

Good advice. I will keep both. I still think its nuts they point in different directions. But having 2 pet taps does away with a interconnecting pipe on the tank - a pain when taking the tank off.

Nairb

Back