photo needed

FLEA

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
the oz versions of xs650s that I know of didn't have the safety relay but mine being a usa import might ,can anybody show me what they look like and where they are located so I can get rid of it..thanks (don't need the headlight on all the time ,draining the battery at low revs)

the oz versions of xs650s that I know of didn't have the safety relay but mine being a usa import might ,can anybody show me what they look like and where they are located so I can get rid of it..thanks (don't need the headlight on all the time ,draining the battery at low revs)

If your charging system is working correctly, the battery will not discharge with normal running.

Depending on the year of the bike, they have 5 or 6 wires.
5 wire has; black, yellow, 2 red/whites, blue/black

6 wire has; black, yellow, 2 red/whites, blue/black, red/yellow

The safety relay also prevents starter over run............

Two examples

77 fuse.jpg

1977fuse.jpg

What year is the XS? If it's a '78, you can disable/bypass the headlight portion of the dual relay by simply unplugging one wire. That will restore full control of the headlight on/off function to the on/off switch on the handlebar .....

HLSwitchRelay.jpg

you beauty..mines a 78 model so its a easy disconnect (I hope) thanks everyone especially 5 twins looks a better solution than keeping fingers crossed as start cutting wires (gives a idea how the bomb squad blokes must feel)

You'll notice I capped over the exposed male bullet with shrink wrap. I don't know if having it touch metal would cause any problems but decided not to find out, lol. I've been running the bike like this for 8 or 9 years so I'm pretty confident there are no ill effects associated with this little "mod". The wire you're unplugging is the one that feeds the relay's signal to the headlight. Technically, the relay is still doing its thing, kicking on and off. It's just not getting through to the headlight any more to turn it on.

out of curiosity if the safety relay plays up ,what normally happens , noticed a lot of xs owners recommend getting rid of the relay without reasons why,can it affect the starter operation as well etc

the oz versions of xs650s that I know of didn't have the safety relay

Fyi the Aussie bikes have them as well, They have the same one 5 twins posted a pic of. Because our bikes have points on all models up to, and including 81, the safety relay stayed the same and all of our models have an on/off headlight switch and a pass button. We don't have the Blue/Black wire

Last edited:
must be all other xs650s iv had had been adjusted/changed as none of them had the h/lite permently on let alone the couple of secs gap before coming on but then only ever had 1976s and earlier but still curious if s/relay also stops starter from over running can it can cause problems with the starter as well..skull did we have the rlu as well

Flea,

RLU was on the Aussie Specials, Don't know about the Standards, I'm sure they would have had them on the 78/79 Standards at least. My 74TXA doesn't have one, but that was the year they used a light checker.
Think the permanent light on, started on the 79 US Special model, (not 100% sure), but do know it wasn't on the Aussie models.

The Canadian 83SK i have has the light come on after at cranks over a couple of times. I turned the key off and on to disable the headlight if the bike didn't start straight off

Last edited:
light checker?? my 78s wired? to come on a couple of seconds after motor starts but recently starter doesn't want to work but kick started ok but now doesn't kick over.. it started kick start and ran ok , then kick start then died now wont start at all..blamed battery as a few yrs old but its reading 12.4 volts..have a new battery just havnt put it in bike yet , so wondering about turning key off /on?????most probably battery but still curious ..why did they take a perfectly good bike and complicate its electrics for no good reason

Back