Please look at my wiring diagram

trance

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello,

Can you look over my wiring diagram?

One specific thing I'm worried about. In this diagram, does it mean that there is always hot power to the rotor (electromagnet)? I would think it would be switched in the ignition switch, but it looks to me that it's always hot.

Any other issues?

Attachments

• MY XS650 WIRING DIAGRAM 2.jpg
    MY XS650 WIRING DIAGRAM 2.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 88
The switch isn't in a good place. Some stuff is always getting power. But it doesn't matter that one side of the starter relay always has power, because it's not a circuit unless the starter relay is active.

Put the switch between the battery and the 20amp fuse and you'll be alright. The other + leg should still go straight to the starter relay.

Also, it looks like the switch he uses is a three position switch where one position would activate the starter, like with a car. I was talking about a normal two position on/off switch.

It looks like you're running all your power directly off the rec/reg and only the starter running via the battery. From what I learnt with my diagram you have to run all power from the rec/reg via the battery to condition the voltage. Also your turn signal indicator isn't directional unless you run off the left and right wiring respectively.

I also split out the power that runs to the brake switch to pick up the tail light rather than running a separate wire/fuse but that won't hurt I guess.

It looks like you're running all your power directly off the rec/reg and only the starter running via the battery. From what I learnt with my diagram you have to run all power from the rec/reg via the battery to condition the voltage.

Can you explain this a bit better?

I'm working on all the other suggestions and will post a new diagram asap.

Never mind sorry, I'm not familiar with that set up rec-reg and after taking a look around my comment was incorrect and I shouldn't have spoken on something I wasn't sure of :(

OK, I updated the diagram. It's very similar to before except:

1) I moved the kill switch to shut off all power to the system. OK?

2) I combined all the indicator lights (brake, tail and turn signals) to one fuse (also OK? Is this too much draw on a single 10 amp fuse? I figure it's only 3 filaments max at any time which allows 14.7 volts x 10 amps = 147 watts max which is way more than the 3 bulbs will draw.)

3) moved the horn and volt meter to the headlight circuit. That shortens the wiring. I really like having a volt meter on my bikes, I've had so many troubles with charging systems it's good to know when things are working and when they are not.

ALSO:

a) I think that my turn signals will work the way I'm showing them, but I'll be careful to test it while installing it.

b) my key switch is a generic switch like the kind a car uses, so it should work as shown in the diagram.

Attachments

• MY XS650 WIRING DIAGRAM 2.jpg
    MY XS650 WIRING DIAGRAM 2.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 64
Back