possibly dumb question about H.F. hoist

Or did you mean what will support the weight? In my case I have a carport and the beams are real beefy 2 by 6, either doubled up or even triple in some places and they are supported by ancient 4 inch round iron pipe uprights. So I'm pretty sure it'll hold. But I'm gonna get up there and inspect those beams really well first - make sure they're not rotted or anything.

This was more what I meant. I'm trying to figure out the same thing to do in my garage, except I don't have any exposed support beams. And the beams I do have, I'm pretty sure aren't strong enough to support the weight; or at least I'm not willing to try.

Any one have any suggestions on a simple frame of some sort that would allow for a hoist and be collapsible? I saw the one on hf already and I'd like to spend a little less.

Also, the only reason I'm going with an electric hoist is I already have one, that I received free, otherwise the other suggestions look much better IMHO.

Thanks
A22

This is what I started with and then progressed:
motorcycle lift, then homemade bench and lastly a hyd lift bench.

The little motorcycle lift was cheap and worked quite well. The bench was even cheaper.
Used with sawhorses, the home made bench became a work bench for the wiring project when it didn't have the motorcycle strapped to it.
Also made wooden supports to keep frame level on the lift and later when on the bench.

Lots of ideas eh!

Attachments

• HPIM01.JPG
    HPIM01.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 118
  • HPIM02.JPG
    HPIM02.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 128
  • HPIM03.JPG
    HPIM03.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 109
  • HPIM04.JPG
    HPIM04.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 96
  • HPIM05.JPG
    HPIM05.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 121
Nice shop! Nice tools! oh, to have a band saw and a drill press. :)

Your wooden table is like a nicer version of mine. I've thought a lot of getting one the lifts like your red one, but my issue with it, for my situation, is that since my bike must stay in an open carport, it makes me nervous that something in the night out there might knock it off. We have some truly mischievous squirrels and raccoons around here. I feel better with it up on the table top platform. I also use a regular floor jack if I just need to get say the back wheel up or whatever.

But really, an ambitious raccoon could knock it off the table top, too.
:)

Back