Post pics of your painted motors !!

I LIKE that look! Well done. I gotta tell ya though, that pic had me scratchin' my head for a bit tryin' to figure where that chain was goin' over the top of the left side cover!

Attachments

• photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 336
  • photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 292
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 294
Those of you who have the polished fins on the painted engines, what was your processes? Did you use anything to seal the fins after you removed the paint?

I was wondering that myself. Without speaking for anyone, I would think that, if the black paint is well-adhered, cutting an "edge" isn't going to disrupt the adhesion of the black paint. I assume this is what you're referring to, as opposed to clear coating the raw aluminum?

If you meant the latter, I have always found clear coated aluminum bits to look pretty ugly over time.

Just a freshened up Heritage motor.

82hsenginePainted.JPG

Paint was spray bomb into it's cap and brushed on the motor. fin edges were sanded and lightly buffed. then paint then thinner to take any paint off the edges.

I used PlastiKote engine paint from farm and fleet. I have done some test pieces dipped them in gas, and the paint held strong.

ythq.jpg

0vf4.jpg

To those you have painted their motor. Did you paint the motor assembled or did you take it apart? Mine is currently apart right now as I am doing some internal maintenance. I understand the pros and cons of both methods. Just want to see what others have done. So the question is. To paint while apart or while together?

Airwolfie,

Seen your posts often and pics of your bike. That thing looks pretty sweet. Nice job! I see that you have a hydraulic clutch. Can you share with me how you converted your clutch?

Yeah your motor looks great thing of doing my tappet covers in metallic gold I did one to test it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 271
Pwizl,

Nice touch with the dark silver color. Definitely somthing different. LOOKS GOOD!

Thank you, I really like the contrast. It's very hard to get the true color in a picture, every one I take looks different and not really like the true color. The color is Dupli-Color engine enamel "cast coat iron," went on really nice, coverage is excellent. The head cover, carb covers, linkages, and tappet covers are powder coated "Super Chrome" with a matte finish. Really happy how it turned out, thinking about sanding the edges of the fins on the head for a little contrast between it and the jugs

Last edited:
Back