Project bike at auction

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
00U0U_iWwC58Exnfs_600x450.jpg

http://appleton.craigslist.org/mcy/4402577191.html

Damn, would like to snag up on those old Deere's. Looks to be 1940's era ones.

wasnt the 74 inch flatty only built for 2 or 3 years?

as complete as that bike looks there is no telling what it would go for. my best guess would be between 10 and 15k. but if to really two persistant buyers are there, no telling. id sure be curious what it did bring?

The Yoder auction site says;

The Estate of Ron Faul Live Auction w/ 1937 Harley
Saturday April 12, 2014 @ 9:00 am
HARLEY DAVIDSON $38,000.00

OMG! i was thinking maybe 40 k was what it would be restored.i guess i was wrong.

i passed up a 74 flatty back in the early 90's for 11,000 buks. it was a runner but the frame had been raked and the motor and tranny were the only stock parts.it was a late 60's chopper with a monoshock front end about 12 inches over.it was awesum and im still kikkin myself. the owner was a well known older hd mechanic who was know for his honesty.

If its a 45 incher, it would only be worth ~10,000-12,000 in restored condition.

If its really a 74 incher, then its worth something. The 74'' bikes are RARE, and you can't practically convert a 45'' to 74''. That bike looks like it has all the right pieces and didn't get ruined by someone making a bobber. If it really is 90%+ original, that adds to the value too. The foot clutch and 3 speed tank shift is a desirable option. If its a 1937, it will have the tin cam cover, which is really cool looking. (but its on the other side of the bike and we cant see it)

I have a 1945 WL 45''. Its a cool bike, but its not practical for anything but putting down back roads. I even swapped out the stock 3 speed for a 4 speed, but 50 mph is about all it will do, and forget about maintaining speed going up any sort of hill. You need to drop 2 gears and really rev it. I think they made something like 22 crank horsepower... but that was 70 years ago so I'm sure some of those horses are dead now.

Those are some of the sexiest looking motorcycles ever built in my opinion. The fender curves, raw looking motor, 'pogo' seat, etc. are all just right.

Last edited:
Back