Project XS2

Anal tendencies are appearing. I trimmed all the excess gasket that hung over. I have literally never worried about that before lol IMG_6548.jpeg

It’s so bad I looked at my pic and saw the couple of spots I missed when cleaning the cover so I broke out the q-tips and got it. WTF Bob, is this an X2 thing?

Haha! 😄 Careful, the OCD will begin to creep into all of your jobs! Here’s some photos of the bottom of the motor from my old ‘77, after I spent the whole day detailing every spec of dirt and oil off of the motor! 😳
IMG_5291.jpegIMG_5288.jpegIMG_5284.jpegIMG_5283.jpeg

Tires showed up today but I think what I’ll do is swap wheels with my Bobber as it’s a direct swap, I want to set up the Cush wheel on the Bobber and I have another rim and set of spokes. The ones on this bike are too far gone to save without painting. Hmmmm maybe a powder coat. Oil is changed, everything checked, valves, points all good. I could have put gas in the tank but what’s one more day. One thing I did was epoxy a small piece of rubber under the new tank cap latch. I really didn’t like the way it was snappng against that tank.image.jpg
Still have to service the front brake but I’m getting too many things going at once. After the way this tank cleaned up I want to redo the tank on the 75 and give it the phosphate acid treatment. At some point I have decided this bike will get the total restoration treatment but for now if it runs and rides with no issues why not. I will repeat something I read in Mailman’s XS2 post several times. These older bikes have a lot of stuff going on the later models don’t. Care has to be taken when working on some of these parts, that or I just don’t want to mess something up lol

There are a few differences that I remember. My original had the nylon carb fittings, this one does not which I’m ok with lol. Bobber has later linked carbs but I have the original set. Great if I’m going to need any parts.

There is still plenty to do I just wanted to assess what was going to be needed. With the carbs racing I think the intake boots may need replacing, I had a gas leak from somewhere, but the engine was very quiet and the rumble from the exhaust was amazing! Those baseball bat mufflers sound good! I also mis-spoke about the carb fittings I do have them on the bowls just not the bodies.

There is still plenty to do I just wanted to assess what was going to be needed. With the carbs racing I think the intake boots may need replacing, I had a gas leak from somewhere, but the engine was very quiet and the rumble from the exhaust was amazing! Those baseball bat mufflers sound good! I also mis-spoke about the carb fittings I do have them on the bowls just not the bodies.
So far a cracking job well done.
looking forward to how this develops.:thumbsup:

Back