Project XS2

Wingedwheel

If it wasn’t broke before, let me try it…
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Alright here we go, I can’t wait to hardtail this bike……..BUUWAAAAAAAA.. I won’t be making that mistake again. I need another project like I need another left foot but when something like this pops up it’s just too much. After passing on at least a dozen bikes I’ve seen in the last few months I couldn’t believe it when I saw the ad for this bike and it lasted a day! The price was extremely reasonable (I should be in jail) and everything was there. Bike has been sitting since 84 and the carbs were off but only had the bowls off and in the box were two OEM Yamaha bowl gaskets along with the screws, Airboxes, filters and clamps. I will take more time to access but things look really good.
I will continue to update findings but what I’ve seen so far. The tank appears to have had a dent in the top and either it or someone playing paintless dent repair got at it because there are a couple of small cracks in the paint where it happened. Missing the gas tank latch and its rusty inside, non-stock mirrors, a small tear in an otherwise beautiful seat. Did Yamaha have a factory engine guard because this on is not a universal. Overall this will be a really fun bike to do. Oh yea, it has the original tool kit…… IMG_2425.jpegIMG_2426.jpegIMG_2431.jpegIMG_2430.jpegIMG_2429.jpegIMG_2428.jpegIMG_2427.jpegIMG_2424.jpeg

Time to buy a few gallons of Evaporust (that stuff is amazing!) and start soaking stuff.

I cant believe how good of condition that paint is in....usually those candy colors are so easily sun bleached.

Time to buy a few gallons of Evaporust (that stuff is amazing!) and start soaking

I cant believe how good of condition that paint is in....usually those candy colors are so easily sun bleached.
I used to use that, now I just use white Vinegar, much less expensive.
It spent its down life in a garage so sunlight never got to it. It was sitting since 1984

It came with the original title in the original envelope from MI SOS issued 2/23/73. Two days after my 13th bday! Do you know how hard it was not to do a happy dance while I was loading the bike.
So I poked around a little, I can’t keep my hands off the new girl, lol. I looked at the carbs and although the bowls were off they look very clean. I’ll still be going through them but I’m looking for clues as to why they might be off. Plugs look OK, maybe running a little rich but not bad. Motor feels like it has good compression pushing through it with the kicker. Surface rust on the rims and mufflers is a bummer. They will clean up ok but forget about show shine. Clutch feels a little out of adjustment but not hard or stiff and bike shifts through the gears no problem. The throttle cables look brand new/never used and they may well be as I found a set of used ones in the parts box. Front brake MC needs to be stripped and cleaned as well as the caliper.image.jpg

I used to use that, now I just use white Vinegar, much less expensive.
It spent its down life in a garage so sunlight never got to it. It was sitting since 1984
I use vinegar in gas tanks too, but the chrome parts are what I was talking about. You can dip shock springs, etc in a tub of that evaporust and they come out sparkling clean. I started using it on a 1970 CB350 I was restoring and was amazed at how well it works.

Boy that’d make a nice survivor bike. Maybe a little patch on the seat ala Dogbunny style and just a light general cleaning up and ride it like that. You could actually have a great low buck classic survivor.

By the way, I really like that crash bar. Never seen one like that on an xs.

Back