Project XS2

I’ll definitely be finding out but I plan on taking every precaution. Yes Niels I hate to kiss and tell but let’s just say this bike will be on the road for less than a grand. That’s including new tires and consumables.
Awesome !

Very hard to see, but here are a few pics of my failed Caswell liner.
IMG_1594.jpeg
IMG_1592.jpeg
IMG_1596.jpeg
IMG_1597.jpeg

I never used to worry about tank liners until the Mailman debacle but it also make me wonder what they used and how it was prepped. Sounds like some 3rd party BS work

I never used to worry about tank liners until the Mailman debacle but it also make me wonder what they used and how it was prepped. Sounds like some 3rd party BS work

Yeah, unfortunately I’ll never know either. At first I believed that this was something they did in house. Later I found out that they farmed out the work to a radiator shop??? 🤷‍♂️ I never could get a straight answer as to the product used either. When they took my tank back to warranty the liner, all they did was pour a ton of new liner material in the tank, right on top of the old failed liner , roll it over a couple of times, which failed to coat large areas inside, then hung it up by the back mounting hole, causing 90% of that new ( epoxy? ) to flow into the front quarter of the tank and set up in a large solid block. At that point it was trash.
As Pete mentioned earlier, whatever you go with be sure to spend an excessive amount of time rolling that tank around and around in every direction to ensure the inside is coated evenly.

I’ve used the POR product before and it seemed to work well, however that bike is gone and it was done to seal seam leaks which it slowed down but did not 100% work with one coating, however that also may have been because I rolled the tank like 1000 times so it wouldn’t build up anywhere. In hindsight maybe a little settling in the bottom would have been a good thing.

Alright, I couldn’t stand it. I sprayed a little fuel in the intake boots and spun the motor. Yep, she fired on both sides. I also redid the petcock seal-offs and filled the tank with vinegar. Nothing appears to be leaking however that may be due to gunk filling the seam.

I’m also thinking the new girl is a line jumper because I had already begun planning on my next XS2 project and it wasn’t this one. I planned on putting my frame back stock on my bobber, rewire the whole bike. It’s not going to be stock ever again but it can be my modified fun bike.IMG_3030.jpeg. There’s going to be lapses between tasks for each bike so perhaps I’ll do a dual XS2 thread.

Another item that I will need that is also a bit elusive is the gas tank latch. I seem to remember something about one in a thread. Bob, was that you? Lol

Another item that I will need that is also a bit elusive is the gas tank latch. I seem to remember something about one in a thread. Bob, was that you? Lol

You might be remembering when, after I bought a replacement tank off eBay, and I accidentally broke a mounting ear off. Be careful, that mounting ring is cast aluminum and brittle. 😬

https://www.xs650.com/threads/mailmans-xs2-the-rebuild-again.59075/

IMG_6107.jpeg

But to answer your question, I never bought a latch assembly. Might be pretty hard to find one. I’d start looking on eBay.

Back