Project XS2

Hey Wingedwheel,Just noticed your find on XS650 Society.Says he’s a new member there.Familiar with you here but didn’t know if this is you there.Looked fishy,just a heads up if not you.

Attachments

• C0AFECA0-3010-4C41-ABF3-05656815306A.png
    C0AFECA0-3010-4C41-ABF3-05656815306A.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 49
I looked at it again there now.My bad.Wasnt sure if your photos were getting used for scam.Disregard.🤝

One thing I was suspect of when I was looking the parts over before purchase was a stain and small area of rust on the right lower tank seam. I’ve seen this before unfortunately and it usually mean a leak.IMG_2445.jpegIMG_2446.jpegIMG_2444.jpeg
This is the valve cover where I’m assuming it was running down the seam and dripping. Maybe that explains the liner kit and perhaps that’s also why the carbs were off and very clean.IMG_2442.jpeg IMG_2447.jpeg. The PO appeared to be on top of general maintenance. And there are several vintage spare partsIMG_2443.jpeg

One thing I was suspect of when I was looking the parts over before purchase was a stain and small area of rust on the right lower tank seam. I’ve seen this before unfortunately and it usually mean a leak.

Yeah, it sure looks like it was leaking. Unfortunately that’s pretty common with those early tanks.

Since I was going to do it anyway, I poured about a gallon of vinegar in the tank and set it on the bench to see if I could get it to leak, well I did, except it was leaking from the PO’s petcock hole seals. I thought it looked good but who knows how old that rubber is. I’ll just make a new “gasket” out of some inner tube rubber. On the other hand……….in anticipation of my battery showing up I squirted a little oil in the cylinder, rolled things over by hand a few times with the kicker and saw no issues. Battery showed up an hour or so ago and I hooked it up and ran it through some checks. All switches and lights worked pulled the starter lever and she spun with the starter no problems and it sounded great! This is actually the cleanest non-runner I have ever gotten. The paint on the lower case is about as close to showroom as you can get.

Last edited:
Bob, I know your liner had the catastrophic failure but has anyone else mentioned issues with a liner they installed?

Bob, I know your liner had the catastrophic failure but has anyone else mentioned issues with a liner they installed?

Yes, I have heard bad stories about a number of different liners. With one possible exception, I believe that Caswell liners have a good reputation. Maybe @jetmechmarty could chime in here. He has had good luck with it. It differs from the other brands , it’s not just an epoxy, something about it makes it set up like glass….extremely hard.
Another thing, I’ve mentioned this before, but here in the Phoenix metro area, our gas is what they call CBG ( Clean Burning Gas ) and it is a cocktail of all sorts of highly volatile solvents, designed to burn hotter and cleaner. I’m sure that contributed to my liner failure.
I‘d wait for some verification about that Caswell being the one that is glass like, before ordering it.
Give me a bit and I’ll do some searching.

I have a failed Caswell liner. I reached out to Caswell for their input. They advised that their product needs a rough surface to grab onto. My tank looked like new before the PO installed the liner. The best plausible reason we came up with was that the surface was so smooth that the product lost adhesion and lifted from the side. The only chemical they suggested for removal is MEK. But I don’t think the average consumer can buy this off the shelf anymore. I believe you need a special commercial license to buy it anymore. I could be wrong on that last part, but that was my impression.

Thanks for the info, I would think the etching solution would help with adhesion. Did it dissolve or just de-lam. I think it would make a difference.

Yes, I have heard bad stories about a number of different liners. With one possible exception, I believe that Caswell liners have a good reputation. Maybe @jetmechmarty could chime in here. He has had good luck with it. It differs from the other brands , it’s not just an epoxy, something about it makes it set up like glass….extremely hard.
Another thing, I’ve mentioned this before, but here in the Phoenix metro area, our gas is what they call CBG ( Clean Burning Gas ) and it is a cocktail of all sorts of highly volatile solvents, designed to burn hotter and cleaner. I’m sure that contributed to my liner failure.
I‘d wait for some verification about that Caswell being the one that is glass like, before ordering it.
Give me a bit and I’ll do some searching.
Yes, I’m riding around with a Caswell liner. I have two tanks lined with it. It is epoxy. @willis is the only failure I’ve heard of other than someone else I know who had installation failure. My tanks had all of the rust removed mechanically, then etched with phosphoric acid. They were completely clean. The one I’m riding was parked in an Atlanta shed for five years before I ever put gasoline in it. It’s on its first season.

Mine just delaminated. I tried to dissolve the loose pieces in a bench test, but was unsuccessful on all attempts.

Mine just delaminated. I tried to dissolve the loose pieces in a bench test, but was unsuccessful on all attempts.

Epoxy is terrible when it comes to chemical bonds, once past the green stage, it doesn’t even chemically bond to itself.

Mechanical bonding (while quite good at it) is all that it’s got. So a rough surface is a must.

Can be a bit difficult to do inside a gas tank with a good finish.

I’ll definitely be finding out but I plan on taking every precaution. Yes Niels I hate to kiss and tell but let’s just say this bike will be on the road for less than a grand. That’s including new tires and consumables.

Back