Quick carb verification, please.

Thanks for the correction, guys. I had a 1980 (G) parts bike that had carbs with the drain valve and brass floats, and made the mistake of generalizing from that. Mama Yama did all kinds of interesting mix-and-match....
Yup use up the previous parts, then switch to the newer style.

I've got Yellow tygon FUEL LINE that's been in use on my bikes for MANY years, on and off many times, it stays soft and flexible.
not all yellow fuel line is tygon.
Not all Tygon is Fuel line. There are formulas of tygon for other uses ie medical etc. not good for fuel line. Learned that one the hard way. The one I got that wasn't fuel line tneded to swell when exposed to gas.
Oragon brand fuel line AFAIK is Tygon, that's easily found at any small engine shop. Think lawn mower chainsaw shops etc. My local Farm and Fleet sells it.

The first year BS34's (1980) had brass floats and the plug, all later years (81 to 84) have foam floats and the drain valve. ;^)
foam floats are direct replacement for the brass 1980 floats.
82 and up heritage specials used a cable operated handlebar choke lever.
gggGary, did your yellow discolor too or is the because the other may not have been filuel line as you said?

I haven't had any tygon discolor or harden. I've even used up most of that 50' roll of "medical Tygon" it works fine, just swells a bit.
I used to get translucent blue fuel line from an ultralight airplane distributor. It also was great stuff, and I preferred the blue color but don't have a current source for it. I have a chunk that I've been using to drain fuel tanks etc for decades. it's still soft and flexible.
You made me look LOL
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/bluefuelline.php
The aircraft distributors are pretty good about weeding out piss poor products.............
Killing their customers is generally hard on business.

Last edited:
Ha....I didn't think the Tygon was gonna be controversial. It didn't get hard or swell, but it did go from translucent yellow to semi-opaque brown. Attached is pic of exact product used:
51gAAOiKkqL._SX425_.jpg

Ha....I didn't think the Tygon was gonna be controversial. It didn't get hard or swell, but it did go from translucent yellow to semi-opaque brown. Attached is pic of exact product used:

You made me look: This has been in, dunno, 5 years? It may be bit stiffer then when new. But has fared better than the pink overflow lines that come on the VM34s.
KIMG1835.JPG1659451536935.jpeg
Mostly but not always non ethanol fuel.

Last edited:
Just to add to the consensus my '80 SG has the 34's with brass floats and and the drain plug on the bowl.

Tygon is a registered trademark name. As we're all aware (or should be) the Chinese don't give a fuck about trademarks. There's plenty of fake Tygon out there. If you want the real stuff, buy from a reputable dealer. 3+ yrs now on my bike.... still soft, flexible and yellow.
Caveat emptor.

Btw... we've had this conversation before. Can't seem to find it right now.... :umm:

I haven't had any tygon discolor or harden. I've even used up most of that 50' roll of "medical Tygon" it works fine, just swells a bit.
I used to get translucent blue fuel line from an ultralight airplane distributor. It also was great stuff, and I preferred the blue color but don't have a current source for it. I have a chunk that I've been using to drain fuel tanks etc for decades. it's still soft and flexible.
You made me look LOL
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/bluefuelline.php
The aircraft distributors are pretty good about weeding out piss poor products.............
Killing their customers is generally hard on business.
Gary does that blue line ho hard over time? I wad thinking about getting some.

Gary does that blue line ho hard over time? I wad thinking about getting some.
Not really? I just coiled it now. It did yellow a bit. So now it's kinda greenish blue. Label says parts unlimited 1/4"ID

Attachments

• KIMG1842.JPG
    KIMG1842.JPG
    270 KB · Views: 53
  • KIMG1839~3.JPG
    KIMG1839~3.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
If you want black rubber line, I found some really nice stuff at YamahaXS650.com. It's thin wall just like the original so the anti-kink protection springs fit over it. Best of all, they sell it in bulk (25' roll) which is nice if you have multiple bikes and extra carb sets. It's quite reasonably priced as well .....

https://yamahaxs650.com/product/black-rubber-fuel-line-1-4-x-25/

When it comes to floats, O.E.M. or genuine Mikuni are best. Most of the aftermarket ones are pretty poor quality. Buying them from Yamaha is pretty much out of the question as their prices are outrageously high. But you can get Suzuki ones (same part) for a much better price. The 1980 BS34 brass floats differ from the earlier BS38 ones and I haven't been able to find a low cost Mikuni replacement like I did for the 38's. But if I needed to replace them, I think I'd make the switch to the plastic ones as they practically never go bad, and they actually cost a few dollars less .....

https://www.partzilla.com/product/suzuki/13250-44080?ref=56effa58763ad658ef407e618a6d5738324b7135

But PartShark is the place to get them .....

https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/partsearch/suzuki?partsearch=13250-44080

PlasticFloat2.jpg

Wow this thread grew legs, nice. I was busy at work and couldn't read until now.
Ha....I didn't think the Tygon was gonna be controversial. It didn't get hard or swell, but it did go from translucent yellow to semi-opaque brown. Attached is pic of exact product used:View attachment 220727
Who would guess LOL! That did answer what size line I should look for!
Tygon conversation is here.

Unless you like rolling the dice, look for proof it's actually Tygon... and actually the fuel rated version.

View attachment 220750
As always, solid info!
If you want black rubber line, I found some really nice stuff at YamahaXS650.com. It's thin wall just like the original so the anti-kink protection springs fit over it. Best of all, they sell it in bulk (25' roll) which is nice if you have multiple bikes and extra carb sets. It's quite reasonably priced as well .....

https://yamahaxs650.com/product/black-rubber-fuel-line-1-4-x-25/

When it comes to floats, O.E.M. or genuine Mikuni are best. Most of the aftermarket ones are pretty poor quality. Buying them from Yamaha is pretty much out of the question as their prices are outrageously high. But you can get Suzuki ones (same part) for a much better price. The 1980 BS34 brass floats differ from the earlier BS38 ones and I haven't been able to find a low cost Mikuni replacement like I did for the 38's. But if I needed to replace them, I think I'd make the switch to the plastic ones as they practically never go bad, and they actually cost a few dollars less .....

https://www.partzilla.com/product/suzuki/13250-44080?ref=56effa58763ad658ef407e618a6d5738324b7135

But PartShark is the place to get them .....

https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/partsearch/suzuki?partsearch=13250-44080

View attachment 220758
Thank you, I have not been into them but I have a feeling these carbs are going to want some extra lovin in the form of $ so saving some is always a plus!! I am headed out now to measure them and take some pictures.

Who would guess LOL! That did answer what size line I should look for!
Note: that was an after-market tank & petcock. I think I'm using 5.5mm ID on OEM petcock (smaller).

Get a pic something like this, comparing engine side to engine side. These are XS500 carbs compared to 650 ones and as you can see, there was quite a difference in spacing ......

Compared.jpg

..... but I made 'em work, lol .....

ReadyToMount.jpg

Mounted.jpg

Mounted3.jpg

So I had a ruler and some carbs. Top is, what I was led to believe, xs400 carbs and the bottom is the xs650 carb. Measurements are in mm for the metric fans. I don’t have a way to measure cm right now. :) seems there is a mm difference is distance apart so alignment would have been an issue. Out of curiosity I measured the choke lever and that is different as well. What measurements would you all like to see?

E17C4220-059A-4D73-83C7-89E90661ACD1.jpeg7CB25050-E57B-40A0-9177-A68F4399D5BE.jpeg3D144646-2503-4E89-BCC0-CDB3E95B40DB.jpegDE3EA635-4D27-461D-B624-3485EF3DFD11.jpeg8C0C0D3D-EB4E-4DAC-99BC-5DF50B1A6991.jpegB9A5C108-D4B4-4613-B64D-F478FC87E5B2.jpeg691C36CD-7FAF-44E3-987D-68E40E939BA0.jpegBD109D63-1D2E-4DC4-9C56-F8372C2B36E3.jpeg

Back