R6 Fork Swap + single rotor SM wheel, please advise

wryland

basket case
Reaction score
I've been scouring the market for a good set of 2006-2012 R6 forks like the ones linked here, in combination with this wheel linked here. I'm hoping one of you guys might be able to shed some light on this part of my project planning.

I really like the looks of these gold R6 forks, but I don't want to get in over my head trying to make everything work with them if it will be too complicated to fit the single brake caliper and wheel.

My question for you is this -
Should I be concerned about the dual caliper setup of the R6 forks, given that I'm looking to put the single rotor wheel on it? Is there anything else that I should be thinking about if I'm going to combine these forks with that wheel?

I put a cbr front end on mine a while back. It looks cool I guess but it was a lot of work. I wound up having to fit the original XS steering stem into the cbr trees. I also had to make some spacers for the wheel as its not original from the cbr front end either

In your case, I'm not sure if those forks will bolt right up or not. The front wheel definitely is going to need custom spacers / bushings at the very least, as surely it will be different than the original wheel. The caliper most likely will not line up with that rotor either. I'm only speculating, but that would be my guess.

Be sure to do some searching for front end swaps. There's quite a few threads on it, one of which covers a front end that is more of a direct swap I believe. That still leaves the front wheel in question though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 1,465
Earlier R6 front ends (right way up) are more or less a direct swap using the R6 stem and new headstock bearings, so I would think that the newer R6 front end will not be far off.

As has already been said, you will likely need spacers to move the discs out from the hub to match the caliper position, or get custom discs with the required offset.

I dont think there will be an issue just using one caliper. The other leg will just be left with no caliper. The only issue there is the looks of it.

You will also need to check the diameter of the hub for the front spindle. the R6 spindle is 22mm I think, so you will need to make sure the hubs can accommodate bearings to get you to the 22mm of the R6.

Get all of tis sorted and it should work fine!

Worth doing though as those supermoto wheels look good.

Thanks, I appreciate your replies. I know it's going to be a lot of work to accomplish this, but that's part of the fun, right?!

I'll update this thread with new info as I move along with the fork swap.

Back