re paint yamaha engine side cover logos

Mikey

got muscles in his head that ain't never been used
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I have a nephew who is going to polish up the engine side covers what's a good way to repaint the Yamaha logos black again
Hobby store paint using a brush ?
its a 75 and I like to keep it looking stock

Clean out the old paint with some stripper
then make sure they are fully dried and clean. A shot of brake cleaner removes any last traces.

Mask out the area around all the letters and spray paint them with some engine enamel. Light sprays over a couple of coats as you don’t want to fill the letters you just want to make sure they a fully covered. Then with a rag with some Varsol or paint thinner on it clean off the paint between the letters. Don’t us too much varsol as you do t want it to drip in to the letters. I have even done it using a bit of stripper on the rag. The key is a little goes a long way and be gentle.

It's pretty easy while covers are flat on a bench. Prep is key get all the polish compound in there cleaned out. I just spray rattle can paint into a cap and brush it in heavy, let dry. Use a bit of thinner on a rag to clean up any over the lines booboos.

Once again thanks guys I take it I should remove the paint before polishing
Just a wax job after it's all done (polishing) painting

Last edited:
I scuffed them , painted the lettering with some metallic base with a small paint brush. Then sprayed clear coat over them. I used high quality automotive base and clear coat My tank emblems I used a similar but different process.

Attachments

• IMG_20190120_142725.jpg
    IMG_20190120_142725.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_20190122_082931.jpg
    IMG_20190122_082931.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 113
Back