Ready to dig into the engine and transmission

Hitndahedfred

Do I look like a people person to you?
Reaction score
While waiting for some ordered parts to arrive, I was thinking that I should probably be making more efficient use of my time and start tearing my engine / transmission down. Since the bike was totally submerged I want to take it completely down and replace whatever I need to.

My bike is a 1979, with the VIN 2F0159246. I looked here to see what model I have, and it doesn't seem to be there. Unless I AM seriously blind.

https://thexscafedotcom.wordpress.com/2011/09/29/xs650-model-year-model-code-engine-number/

Also,
Where would I get the best resource books / manuals to do this? I saw Haynes, the factory manuals (the one you get when the bike is new) and a few others. Some places/people say this sucks,, or that one isn't any good so I wanna get what I need to do everything I need to do. I have done Jeep engines and Tcases so I'm not skeered to open it up.

There are some wickedly talented people here so that is why I am asking. That and I HATE wasting money on shitty anything. Only "buy it once" , ya kno ?

Thanks in advance,, much appreciated

Last edited:
One good source would be to search member Airwolfie's build thread. It's full of detailed pics and posts on an engine rebuild. Good luck!

Back