Real Estate Update

This is going to be such a nice building, well deserved! 👍🏻 Will there be any sort of driveway to the entrance Pete? Gravel or otherwise?
Thanks so much Bob!

I am not planning on an actual driveway to the barn - due to cost and the fact that traffic in and out of the building won't happen very often. Aside from the garden tractor, the Miata will go in at the end of the autumn and come back out in the spring - and the bikes will go in and out only occasionally. To do those moves, I'll just drive across the lawn, avoiding the septic tile bed immediately in front of and to the west, of the house of course.

There will be a concrete pad in front of the overhead door at the road-side end of the building (which is about 160' from the road). The pad will be big enough to park 3-4 bikes outside the building. I will also lay a flagstone pathway from the back yard gate to the man-door (about 10-12 feet) - and that will be used daily.

...and at the end of the working day....

P_B-40.JPG

P_B-39.JPG

P_B-42.JPG

Pete are you going to have water in the building?

Edit added missing word.

Like pot plants?

Howdy all!
Nope - no water in the building. The complications of drainage and tying into the septic bed are just too tough around here and it is only 24' to the house so when I have to "drain the dragon", I'll just come inside.

As for pot....nope. Both of my folks died of lung cancer and having watched that, and held their hands while they passed, I simply cannot abide smoking in any form (sorry to those who are smokers - but all I can tell you is that some day, some children / grand children would be eternally grateful if you were to man-up and just quit now).

Anyhooooo......the missing pieces of siding and roof cladding finally arrived yesterday and are now complete - and here it is!

P_B-44.jpg

P_B-43.jpg

Next steps: inside excavation of the sod and topsoil and then laying down of 6" of gravel followed by 2" of styrofoam insulation and then the in-floor heating piping - followed by steel reinforcing mesh and a 6" concrete cap to form the floor. The electrical and gas services will be run out simultaneously and then the steel ceiling panels (white in colour) will be installed followed by blown-in insulation.

That will be the end of the "contractor" phase of the project (except of course for the paying for it, which is always the difficult part). My goal is to have all of that done by mid-late September or so.

I will then move into "DIY" mode. First, I will do the wall insulation with fibreglass bats, then I'll put up the interior wall paneling and finally I'll wire it myself and move all of my crap in. I hope to have everything completed before the snow flies in December.

Last edited:
That’s great Pete. You’ve inspired me to look into putting heat in my garage for the winter.
It would require breaking up the concrete floor to do in-floor heating which is not impossible, but a slightly messy job. My existing garage has an overhead-mounted natural gas heater unit with a pretty powerful circulating fan. The unit is thermostatically controlled and warms the garage (about 27'x25' with a high ceiling) up to a working temp in about 10 minutes (see photo). Having more fans in the ceiling to spread the warm air around is also very helpful.

An installation like that shown below should not be too expensive, nor will it cost much to operate, as long as you don't open the big garage door too often.

DCW_1.jpg

DCW_2.jpg

Based on my experience of last winter, you really need to heat it up to only about 60-63 deg. F (say about 16-17C) - as you are up, walking around and working on things, and you will always fully clothed out there (at least....I am.....;)). If you are going to sit on your bum in the garage during the winter, you'd likely need it to be a tad warmer IMO.

Pete

Last edited:
Back