Real Estate Update

Just an uneducated thought on the weight "problem" with insulating overhead doors.

To my way of thinking, and I might not do that too much, the weight of the insulation only needs to be offset by either replacing the spring(s), if they are the extension type, with heavier ones. Or if the type that are wound around a shaft then you probably could just adjust for some more tension.

The weight of the door should be mostly balanced by the spring tension and should open with one hand with opener arm disconnected.

Of course you would not want to try to use a cheap Wallyworld opener for a airplane hanger door if you are parking a B-52 in there!

Just an uneducated thought on the weight "problem" with insulating overhead doors.

To my way of thinking, and I might not do that too much, the weight of the insulation only needs to be offset by either replacing the spring(s), if they are the extension type, with heavier ones. Or if the type that are wound around a shaft then you probably could just adjust for some more tension.

The weight of the door should be mostly balanced by the spring tension and should open with one hand with opener arm disconnected.

Of course you would not want to try to use a cheap Wallyworld opener for a airplane hanger door if you are parking a B-52 in there!
My brother in law said the same thing. At the ends of the extension springs there are long eye bolts with adjustment nuts for tension. Maybe I should have sprayed them. Too late now ☹️ Or maybe I should have sprayed one. If it was too heavy then don't bother with the second?

Should be here and garage will hopefully be fine by then. Will you have time for lunch or dinner?
I have a lecture till about 10:30 AM - will leave right after that and so I could be in Oakville by around 2:00 pm. I have a dinner at 6:00 in Mississauga....

P

A little more progress.…. Partial east wall. Fingers crossed will get 75% finished tomorrow.
8E5922A7-F616-47CC-B9FF-C9EC798D77CB.jpeg
A36F4BDA-E890-449E-9CC3-8DFD68313B44.jpeg
DF2C1300-2E64-4F45-ADA7-8B473EA92778.jpeg

I was going to get the doors sprayed but the installer was concerned the added weight would be too much for my smaller garage door openers. I’m going to buy insulating foam sheets, cut and fit them between the ribs ( stick them on with construction adhesive?). Then I’ll probably try to fill the gaps with aerosol expanding foam. Didn’t want to do this but the worry of doors not opening and / or killing my door openers, changed my mind about the spray foam.

But…. please tell me more about insulating blankets.
I use the canned expanding foam to glue insulating sheets to steel and concrete.
You have to wet the facing surfaces first, then lay a + x-pattern of foam and then keep it braced against the wall (or door) for at least an hour. It sticks like shit to a blanket.
This is how I insulated my sliding doors...
The clutter was to weight the Kingspan down while the foam set.
DSC_0001.jpg
DSC_0003.jpg
DSC_0008.jpg

Last edited:
I use the canned expanding foam to glue insulating sheets to steel and concrete.
You have to wet the facing surfaces first, then lay a + x-pattern of foam and then keep it braced against the wall (or door) for at least an hour. It sticks like shit to a blanket.
This is how I insulated my sliding doors...
The clutter was to weight the Kingspan down while the foam set.View attachment 229079View attachment 229080View attachment 229081
Never thought of using that. I know how sticky it is. Maybe I should try a couple of test pieces. Thx

Got more panelling up until we ran out of material. These old bones are tired! Probably still 1/2 days work to finish the wall covering. Then another day for electrical, then shelves on two sides, trim work around windows and doors, erect racks, start bringing my “treasures” back in. I think 2 weeks of work still left to do.
0F8D475D-AFD1-46A0-9A13-88B3B8DE1630.jpeg
194A6FFE-87B5-40C2-AB5B-6CDB7F807D33.jpeg
65A86C60-DE6B-4F28-A8F2-8ED503256756.jpeg
F99A8672-DC52-483C-8098-DA234213B886.jpeg
457598E6-8417-48EB-A42D-409818DF0027.jpeg

Yeah, Toyota has a knack for great cars.
The car is a1989. In the last pic above, in the foreground under cover is a motor I built 2-1/2 years ago waiting to be transplanted. No motivation because he one in it has been running to good to pull it.

Attachments

• 047AF4A7-4E0F-418E-8BF1-C26E9130FC44.jpeg
    047AF4A7-4E0F-418E-8BF1-C26E9130FC44.jpeg
    748.6 KB · Views: 47
Added a cheap 42” fan to move warm air downwards. Made a significant difference at floor level. Even though it isn’t really cold here yet, the garage warms up really nicely with an electric heater. It this point I don’t think I’ll be installing a natural gas heater (Not this year for sure - budget has been overspent). So far very pleased with the results of the insulation.

FA9F7D1E-309F-44E6-850B-EC3299A2C09E.jpeg

Exceptionally good idea to cover the top of your Toyota with that cushion! Over half my life ago when I was slightly less intelligent then now, I parked my freshly repainted '65 Corvair coupe in my open garage and didn't check for overhead risks. One of the cats knocked a 2x4 down somehow on top of the car's roof. I never did like that cat.

Back