Rear drum brake is terrible!

ProSimex

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So Ive been riding my bike for a few months now and I just couldnt shake the feeling that the rear drum brake isnt doing its all. I thought perhaps the fellow who sold it to me wasnt telling the truth about new drum shoes so I decided to rip it apart, sure enough shoes were pretty damn new!
I cant lock it up (unless the road is wet and I'm trying not to T-bone someone who pulled out in front of me) no matter how much I get on it.

Should it suck this hard?

Also why a single leading shoe rather then twin like the front of my old CB350.
:wtf:

Are both shoe's making contact with the drum? The shoe's are not contaminated are they? Is the drum glazed?

I cant lock it up (unless the road is wet and I'm trying not to T-bone someone who pulled out in front of me) no matter how much I get on it.

You don't want to lock it up. But if you're using both brakes like you would if trying not to t-bone someone, you would be able to lock it up, as weight came off it and went to the front. Easy to skid the rear if the front is on hard too. Unless there's something visibly wrong with it then it's almost sure there's nothing wrong with it.

You want the arm and lever to be at an acute angle at rest, and when you apply the brake it should pull the angle to 90°. that is where it is going to be most effective, so adjust the rod and arm so it works like this.

are the pads worn evenly? There is a very clearly documented process for assembling and repairing brake pads in the drum brake that explains how to adjust them so that the contact area is correct.

Chances are that's not set right and you're only contacting a small part of the brake pad.

Back