Recommendations for clutch replacement

oberling

XS650 Member
Reaction score
My barrel nut is out pretty far and my clutch is definitely slipping when I really get on it. Does any one recommend any specific aftermarket plates or easy upgrades while I'm in there? I've never messed with a clutch before; is it possible that my springs could be worn out and should I replace them? Bike is an '80 special II with somewhere in the neighborhood of 15k miles on it.

Not too sure what you mean by the barrel nut - do you mean the adjuster at the handlebar end of the clutch cable? If so, the cure to the clutch slippage is to set it right back in and adjust at the lower end of the clutch cable, under the chrome housing on the l/h engine case. Lots of threads how to do this job.

But if you mean the worm nut at that lower adjuster, then the slippage might be due to worn plates or weak springs. You would need to go into the clutch, which is not a huge job. I would drain the engine oil, but some people just lean the bike left. Need to take off r/h footpeg, brake lever and kicker to get at the clutch cover but then it's just a matter of undoing a set of screws - be methodical and retain the screws, some of which have copper washers, in the proper order so they go back where they came out. Again, there's plenty threads. This one from the Tech section gives a pretty full description of the clutch: https://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650-clutch.143/post-1012

But there's shorter ones about service limits for plates and springs. I'm sure other people will give recommendations if you need to replace.

Most of the time, these need new springs. The originals are, after all, 40+ years old. Aftermarket heavy duty (slightly stiffer) spring sets are readily available and reasonably priced. Yes, do check the plate thickness while in there but the plates are pretty robust. With only 15K on them, yours should still be fine, unless the bike was really beat on maybe. The only worn plates I ever found were on a different Yamaha that had been drag raced, and while worn some, they still weren't at the wear limit.

If the plates have gone south a likely suspect could be incorrect oil. If "energy conserving" engine oil designed for a car was used, the clutch plates could possibly be ruined. While I never did that to my motorcycle, it's a possibility that the STP I used as assembly lube caused my clutch slipping and subsequent replacement. By all means, start with replacing the springs if the friction plates are in spec.

Yes, I was going to mention those. They're about the most reasonably priced plates out there and so far, the reports on them are good.

Back